OFF: MR. QUIMBY'S BEARD UPCOMING EUROPEAN DATES!

Bill & Cynthia freeaqua at IINET.NET.AU
Fri Mar 22 19:51:52 EST 2002

You lucky, lucky...I'd live in Europe if it wasn't so bloody cold!!!

Bill
----- Original Message -----
From: "Strange Trips" <webmaster at strange-trips.com>
To: <freeaqua at iinet.net.au>
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 4:24 AM
Subject: MR. QUIMBY'S BEARD UPCOMING EUROPEAN DATES!

> Hello Folks!
>
> Strange Trips is pleased to announce the following limited European dates
for Mr. Quimby's Beard and The Solar Fire Lightshow. We will be
> visiting Holland, The Hague, Denmark, and Germany from April 20 to May
5th. We hope to have more dates in place soon, so keep your eyes on:
> http://www.Strange-Trips.com  for further information and any last minute
updates.

> So far it's:
>
> 20.04.02 - Copenhagen, Denmark - Stengade 30
> 30.04.02 - Berlin, Germany - RAW Tempel
> 04.05.02 - Aschaffenburg, Germany - Eclipsed Fest
> 05.05.02 - Verviers, Belgium - Spirit of '66
>
> Catch MQB on the Radio!
> 29.04.02 - The Psychedelicatessen - The Hague - Radio Tonka 104.7 @ 2200
hrs
> Date/Time TBA - Radio Heemskerk - Amsterdam - 105.5 Cable or 107.4 Ether
>
> Watch  http://www.Strang-Trips.com  for more Euro gigs to be announced
soon!

> England 2002
> 22.06.02 - Blackpool, England - Sonic Rock Solstice
> 28-30.06.02- Glastonbury Festival - TBC
> 19-21.07.02 - The Mighty Hawkwind Festival
> "Earth Passport Holders Only"
>
> MR. QUIMBY'S BEARD
> "Mr. Quimby's Beard are one of the fastest rising bands in the British
independent music scene. Their multi-media stage show and powerful live
> presentation recall the glory days of such great bands as Pink Floyd, and
the even more esoteric Hawkwind, while adding a modern sound to this
> style of music making it uniquely their own. Along with other cutting edge
UK bands like Ozric Tentacles, Porcupine Tree, Bedouin, and Spacehead, they
are destined to make their mark in the neo psych-rock community. Mr.
Quimby's Beard constantly presses the outer limits while
> they drag the traditional cosmic psychedelia screaming and kicking into
the 21st century. This is a band that's not to be missed".

> Hailing from Sunderland in the north of England, Mr. Quimby's Beard has
quickly commanded a great deal of attention as the next in line of great
British psychedelic artists continuing in the
> long admired tradition of Hawkwind, Here 'n' Now, and the Ozric Tentacles
in the UK. With three excellent Space Rock albums already in the bank, we
can only expect yet greater works of wonder in the future from these
relative newcomers to
> the psychedelic multi-verse. Their debut CD "Out
> There" appeared in 1995 on the Demi Monde label. Since then have continued
on with the dynamic family of psychedelic artists at Stone Premonitions
right through to their latest release "The Definitive Unsolved Mysteries of
Mr. Quimby's Beard". MQB releases feature copious amounts of swirly
electronics from keyboardist Hardy amidst a mesmerizing amalgam of cosmic
lock groove anthems, reggae beats, and blazing guitar
> leads. It's a tried-and-true recipe that the five
> have now taken to another realm. The "SD 2001 Shrouded in Mystery American
Tour" will feature the first performances of Mr. Quimby's Beard on American
soil....and we're in for a real treat!  For more info on MQB please visit:
> http://www.btinternet.com/~freakyfungi/
>
> Mr. Quimby's music has often been described as a combination of dark and
dreamy Pink Floyd with the psychedelic high energy jams of the Ozric
> Tentacles and Hawkwind's extremely spacey and repetitive riffs. But even
with these obvious musical influences, they still manage to hammer out a
unique place of their very own in this dark and psychedelic musical
universe. Those who see them live immediately embrace their music which
> has resulted in the beginnings of a world wide following.
>
> Supported by ex-Hawkwind members Harvey Bainbridge & Nik Turner, they
recently completed their first American tour and headlined STRANGE DAZE -
America's premier SpaceRock event. Upon
> returning to the UK, Mr. Quimby's Beard were invited to join Hawkwind at
their 2nd Annual Christmas Party gig held in London at The Forum on December
20th and are slated to open for the Ozric Tentacles in their home town of
Sunderland, England on March 18, 2002.

> Mr. Quimby's Beard (along with America's Strange Trips and The Solar Fire
Lightshow) is presently arranging a European Tour which should include
Norway, Denmark, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc. around April and May of
2002.

> See you Out There.
>
> Space out!
>
> Jim Lascko
>
> For more Info on who we are and what we do:
> http://www.Strange-Trips.com
>
> ********************************
>
> The Recent Adventures of Mr. Quimby's Beard
>
> 2001 US TOUR
> 19/10 - Milwaukee, WI   - (Thai Joes)  w/ Harvey Bainbridge
> 21/10 - Columbus, OH - (Little Brothers) w/ Harvey Bainbridge & Quarkspace
> 23/10 - Chicago, IL -  (JJ. Kelly's)  w/ Harvey Bainbridge & Nik Turner
> 27/10 - Cleveland, OH - (Beachland Ballroom) - Headliners Strange Daze
Festival
> 30/10  - Cullman, AL (Civic Centre) w/ Harvey Bainbridge, Nik Turner,
Rwake
> 3/11 - St. Petersburg, FL. (State Theatre) w/ Harvey Bainbridge, Nik
Turner & Tzamp
> 6/11 - Atlanta GA. (9 Lives Saloon)  w/ Harvey Bainbridge, Nik Turner &
Spaceseed

> 20/12/01 - London - (The Forum)  - supporting Hawkwind at their 2001 Xmas
Party
> 18/03/02 - Sunderland - (Manor Quay) - supporting Ozric Tentacles
>

> ***********************************
>

> Mr. Quimby's Beard Biography
>
> Founding band members Kidd, Ray, and Hardy have worked together in many
musical guises off and on since 1983. In '91 they started what was initially
a "recording only" project using the
> new name of "Mr. Quimby's Beard", producing 4
> albums worth of material during the next two years.
>
> In 1993, Kidd joined the spacerock band "Afresco Mantis" as a flute
player. At the time Alfresco Mantis was looking for a supporting act and it
was suggested that MQB play a gig with them. So
> Hardy, Ray and Kidd decided to take the project
> to the next logical step and, taking them up on the offer, they became a
actual live band.

> Asking fellow Sunderland musicians Gaz and Eddy Barrow to join them in
their new venture, MQB's first line up was in place by 1993. With Ray on
guitar/vocals, Kidd on bass/vocals, Hardy on
> keyboards/synths/vocals/FX, with Eddie Barrow
> on guitars and Gaz on drums they performed live as MQB for the first time
6 weeks later. The line up stayed this way until 1994, when Eddie Barrow
decided to leave the band amicably for various
> personal reasons. MQB spent the next three months as a 4 piece outfit.
>
> It was around this time that MQB and Stone Premonitions linked up when Tim
Jones and Terri B. put an advertisement in a local music news letter in '94
looking for space/psych bands to
> promote. MQB sent a demo to them, but never really
> expected a reply. Fortunately for MQB, Tim & Terri loved it for what it
was and had the foresight to see that the band had a lot of potential if
they could only be allowed an opportunity to record in a proper studio.
Conversely, after MQB met with Tim and Terri, there was no doubt in their
minds that Stone Premonitions and Mr. Quimby's Beard were made for each
other!

> It was as a four piece during this time that they recorded their first
album subsequently released as a cassette by Stone Premonitions. Shortly
after this release Dave (Thrash Bastard) Thorburn
> joined them on guitar, playing a few live gigs
> with MQB and appearing on the CD "Out There". Davey "Bongos" Johnson also
guested during the summer of '94 at Gaz's request to add extra percussion.
He too played a few live gigs
> with MQB and you can hear his recorded bongo
> tracks on the song "Snake Dance" from the CD "Out There".
>
> In November of '94, after several labels showed some interest, Mr.
Quimby's Beard signed to Demi-Monde who released their album "Out There" on
CD in 1997. MQB's track "Traveling", taken from the "Out There" album, was
also featured
> alongside the likes of  Amon Duul II, The Groundhogs, and Mother Gong on
the Demi-Monde compilation CD release "Welcome to the World of...".

> After not showing up for a gig in December of '94, Dave Thorburn was asked
to more fully commit to the band or leave and MQB had to make the difficult
decision for him in January of '95
> when he didn't show up once again. Spencer Arkley
> (guitar) replaced Dave and played live with MQB from spring '95 until the
summer '96. Spencer was a great guitarist and entertainer, but the intense
non-musical differences between Spencer and Gaz in the summer of '96 proved
to be just too much for Ray and Hardy.They decided to call the present
incarnation of MQB quits, but with the
> idea of starting it up again in the future.
>
> Hardy went back into the studio near the end of '97 and started working on
a follow up to his solo album "The Light" which was recorded after
> the completion of "Out There". As Ray & Kidd became more and more involved
in the project, it was decided to reunite with Gaz to make this the 3rd Mr.
Quimby's Beard release and to also have Tim Jones (guitar/narration) & Terri
B. (backing vocals) as guests on this album.

> MQB had actually recorded their first two albums with Tim as engineer
before anyone even knew he played lead guitar! On finding this out MQB
persuaded Tim to play on the album and he really
> did a great job! That's also Tim's voice that
> you hear on "A Glimmer Of Hope". Unfortunately, Tim & Terri have never
played live with MQB because their involvement in other projects like "The
Rabbits Hat", "A Body Full Of Stars", and "Census Of Hallucinations" were
already taking up all their time.

> Then, after almost 3 years in the making, the year 2000 saw the release of
MQB's 3rd album "The Definitive Unsolved Mysteries of....". The album
received much critical acclaim from both
> the music press and the public and the first pressing was completely sold
out within 6 months of it's debut.

> After having moved away a few years earlier to become a school teacher,
Jim Walton (guitarist and a founding member of Afresco Mantis) returned
> to the NE area of England in 1999. MQB were looking for a  guitarist at
the time so they asked
> Jim to join MQB, which he did.
>
> Soon after, Gaz left the band in mid rehearsal because of musical
differences and then dropped out of sight. It was Gaz's leaving that paved
the way for Jim's brother Chris Walton (drums) to
> join MQB. Chris was also a founding member of
> Afresco Mantis, and unlike brother Jim, he is still with them today. At
the moment he's a valued member of both bands and a very talented artist
who's responsible for the "Out There" inner
> sleeve and the artwork on "The Light".
>
> Stone Premonitions is still a cooperatively run independent underground
music label based in the North East of England. Started in 1993 by Tim
Jones, Terri B, and Steve Ellis, it has grown
> into one of the finest psychedelic labels in the UK today! Bands on the
label include: The Rabbits Hat, Census Of Hallucinations, Krom Lek, and
Spacehopper to name but a few.

> Freaky Fungi was started in 1999 as the spacerock branch of the Stone
Premonitions label to help cope with the ever increasing work load of Tim &
Terri. It's ran by MQB band members Hardy, Kidd, & Ray. Freaky Fungi bands
include Mr. Quimby's Beard, Afresco Mantis and Hardy.