video tech stuff

E F des at SUPERLINK.NET
Fri Mar 22 23:25:31 EST 2002

It's not all that complicated to do.  Here's the short of it:

Go to   http://www.vcdhelper.com/   here you will find a wealth of faqs and
advice as well as links to some excellent free software for doing what you
are looking to do.

I have been transfering some home video stuff to VCD.  What I use is the
Hauppauge WinTV PCI card for capture, which I got on E-bay for $23 plus
shipping.  The capture software I use is Virtual Dub which is free.  This
save out as an AVI file which I then convert to MPEG with TMPGenc which is
also free.
A note on the AVI side; download the Huffy compression codec.  The AVI takes
up a lot of space and this codec compresses nicely and with virtually no
loss.

The editing can be a little doggier than the capturing and MPEGing.  Virtual
Dub is supposed to do this very well, but Ihave never had the patience to
learn it.  Instead I bought MGI Video Wave (under $100) to do that stuff.
Ulead Video Studio 4.0 works well too, and is probably a better editor.  I
think it's in the same price as the MGI.

Enjoy!

  --Eric