TOTALLY OFF: Who died...

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Mar 25 07:06:30 EST 2002

Robert C. Mayo writes:

> no one is 'inconvenienced'; not what i was talking about at all.
> my mommy taught me to leave a place as i found it; it's about respect, i
> suppose.

> the moon and everything else out there is part of 'nature'

As are artifacts made by humans. We're part of nature too.

> a remote,
> inpopulated part, sure. but does the fact that no one owns it; no one lives
> there, and no one is 'inconvenienced' by our junk mean it's 'right' for us to
> leave it there?

Sure. We'll pick it up later when it's time for it to become part of the
exhibit at Tycho.

> it's not enough we' ugly-up the earth; let's ugly-up the moon
> too. after all, who cares?

Is it ugly if there's nobody there to see it?

Don't get me wrong. I'd be very much against them floating a giant
luminescent coke bottle in orbit. I want to see stars (and that's hard
enough with all the light pollution in cities) rather than tacky
advertising. Leaving a few LEM bases on the Moon until we move there
permanently isn't that sort of order of problem.

I'd be against dumping nuclear waste onto the Moon just to get it out of
the way (the proper place for it is to drop it into the Sun, but
deltavee capability doesn't permit that yet). since that would
inconvenience future Lunies.

> sorry, but that strikes me as typical earthling arrogance : )

I blame that first amphibian that walked up onto the beach. It was
always going to be uphill from there.

FoFP