HW: Early Days & Studio Dates

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Mar 25 20:07:35 EST 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 07:38:49 -0000, Ian Abrahams
<mail at ABRAHAMSI.FREESERVE.CO.UK> wrote:
>I'm currently doing some research into the early days of Hawkwind..say
>from conception through to recording & release of the first album.

Good luck!  Make sure that your ultimate findings get posted here ...

>Does anybody know the recording/studio dates for the first album & the
>official release date?

According to this website:
http://www.nfos.de/01/0102.htm
The first album was recorded during March & April of 1970.  I can't imagine
that the actual recording took more than a few days, especially since the
entire middle part of the album ("The Reason Is?" / "Be
Yourself" / "Paranoia" / "Seeing It As You Really Are") was really one song
(the infamous "Sunshine Special"), and there are very few overdubs (Dave's
& Nik's vocals, and Dick Taylor's guitar may be all of them?).

And, according to Andrew Dawson's discography:
http://www.adawson.clara.net/index.html
The album was released in August, preceded by the "Hurry On Sundown" single
in July (by which time John Harrison was no longer in the band).

Of course, one of the problems with researching this stuff is that the
memory of anyone who was actually there is wholly suspect due to all those
chemicals whizzing around their brains at the time ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com