OFF: The Giant Inflatable Egos of Pop-Stars Hover Over Our Heads...

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Wed Mar 27 15:31:18 EST 2002

... and they make us less than happy; they make us LESS than happy...

>TOTALLY OFF: Who died and made Bono the Emperor of the friggin' universe?!

  ... snipped, you know what it said ...

>Excuse me while I go induce vomiting into the nearest sink.

Pop-culture celebrities getting involved in real-world issues can indeed be
vomit-inducing (take Barbara Striesand - no really, please, take her away)
but I'm tempted to give Bono a pass since numbered among his lower profile
deeds was apparently support for Horslips in their legal fight to regain
control of their back-catalog - the threat of the kind of money he could
bring to bear apparently had a major part in the decision by the record
company that had (questionable) legal ownership of the music to return the
rights. Resulting in the excellent remasters that came out in 2000/2001 on
the Edsel label. In the larger scheme of things, this ain't up there with
getting the godless Communists out of Tibet, but it ain't too shabby and at
least it was realistically achievable.

Stephan

> Grakkl (FAA), who doesn't really know anything about Bono's
> motivations or his level of knowledge and understanding of
> certain injustices around the world and who's also not
> particularly up-to-speed with all the doings in the popular
> entertainment or political realms, but still has the urge to
> hum John Lodge's "I'm Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band"
> when he does show up on my TV or computer screen.

----> Lucifer's Friend - (I'm Just A) Rock N' Roll Singer <----

Which also features the immortal lyrics -

'Hey, hey-ayea-yeah!
 Hey, hey-ayea-yeah!
 Hoo na na na na na na-na NA!
 Hoo na na na na na na-na NA!