OFF: Pete Best (nothing to do with HW)

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Mar 28 15:33:25 EST 2002

Apology accepted ;^).

... but it's probably worth mentioning that:
Pete Best did not appear on the first six Beatles studio albums (or ANY
Beatles studio recording except for the Decca audition tape).
Pete Best did not on sing any Beatles songs.
Pete Best was never an onstage "focal point" or extremely-visible frontman
for the Beatles.
Pete Best did not write or co-write a half-dozen some Beatles songs,
including some of the Beatles' best-known songs that they continued to
perform over a decade after Best's departure.
Pete Best had nothing to do with naming the Beatles.
The Beatles were never joined by a significant poet/frontman/singer who was
an old friend of Pete Best.

However, Pete Best DID royally piss off his bandmates in the Beatles
because he was much more successful with the ladies than the other three
(or 3 of the other 4 when Stu Sutcliffe was in the band).

Obligatory nit-picky correction: Paul McCartney's touring the US this
spring, and Ringo still seems to have a new All-Starr band every couple
years, so you can't really say that Pete Best is the only ex-Beatle still
touring.

Lame attempt-at-on-topicness: Lemmy's a Beatles fan and claims to have seen
them several times in the early days ... I wonder if he had the chance to
compare Best vs. Starkey drumming ... ?

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com