OFF: Skin Alley

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Mar 28 16:15:00 EST 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:51:48 -0000, Rich Warren
<rich.warren at BTINTERNET.COM> wrote:
>I picked up the Glastonbury Fayre CD a while ago, which has one Skin Alley
>track, 'Sun Music'.
>
>It sounds excellent, and I wondered, what the albums are like, and are
>they available on CD.

I have the first (s/t - with the policeman blowing a bubble on the cover),
third ('Skin Tight') and Fourth (can't remember the title) Skin Alley
albums.  I haven't listened in a while, but I remember thinking that the
first one is great, but the other two not so hot (I believe that the studio
version of "Sun Music" is on 'Skin Tight').  They haven't been reissued on
CD AFAIK, but at least the first two were on CBS UK, and a lot of the
really great stuff on that label is being reissued by Sony (Trees albums,
Robert Wyatt's 'End of an Ear', etc.), so there may be hope ...

The third and fourth albums were actually issued in the US, on (I think)
the Stax label (well known for soul music and Booker T. & the MG's -
definitely NOT known for UK underground bands!  But then again, Rare
Earth/Motown put out the Pretty Things in the States, so stranger things
have happened.), so they can be found without too much difficulty here.

I guess I'll have to pull them all out and give them another listen ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com