OFF: UK travel tips?

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed May 1 11:12:57 EDT 2002

On 1 May 2002, at 9:45, John Majka wrote:

> So I've now got my plane ticket to London for this upcoming Hawk
> event, but I'm wondering what an American ought to do about the travel
> situation.  Is public transportation widely and easily available in
> England?  Should I rent a car?  The idea of zipping down the "wrong"
> side of the road makes me fear accidentally driving by instinct (i.e.
> the USA way) and getting into some sort of fearsome accident.... has
> anyone else been in this travel situation and how did you solve it?

I go to Europe every year or so, and I'm still afraid to drive there!
Streets are tiny, and the traffic rules are different, even though I've
only been to places where they drive on the same side as us.  But
then, maybe I'm not a good barometer, 'cause I hate driving HERE!
Don't know about the UK, but on the continent, public transport is
so good that I don't generally regret not driving...

theo