OFF: Guitar question

albert bouchard ir004728 at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri May 3 18:17:56 EDT 2002

On 4/30/02 9:07 PM, "Moonglum ." <youless at LVCM.COM> wrote:

> Other guitars you could consider are an old Fender Mustang or a Charvel
> Surfcaster - with the oversized Charvel logo, i.e. not a Jackson one.  Get
> one that's beat-up looking to save some money on the purchase....
>
> Other vintage guitars that aren't in the Jaguar/Jazzmeister price bracket
> are the Fender Duo-Sonic and the Gibson Melody Maker.  You can hear sound
> samples of these at http://www.tonefrenzy.com
>
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:04:22 -0400, Brian Halligan
> <blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM> wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking to find an inexpensive guitar that has a similar sound to a
>> Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster. Used re-issues of the Jaguar I've seen have
>> been out of my price range. I realize you get what you pay for, but if any
>> of you gearheads out there have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but nothing sounds like a Jazzmaster
but a Jazzmaster. Yes, the Japanese ones are nice if you don't mind thick
chunky necks but the USA reissue is almost exactly like the original, in
both feel and sound. If you're looking for something kind of like it then
the Mexican Strat is the closest thing. Having played in a band with two
guitarists, one using a Melody Maker (brother Joe) and the other a
Jazzmaster  (cousin Ted), the Melody Maker lasted about a month (Joe got a
Strat).

I've tried the Jagstang and the Jagmaster and they both fall into the
category of OK alternative guitars but the magic of a Jazzmaster is almost
completely absent from them. Jazzmasters have the most deep, rich,
sustaining twang of any electric guitar. There is simply no guitar like it.
Probably because of that damn bridge!
;-) Al