tales of the psychic wars

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue May 7 11:29:40 EDT 2002

Anyone else picked up this 2-disc set?  There was originally some
speculation that this was a bootleg or 'unofficial' release, but I see
it's got a Sony copyright.

Anyway, it's pretty cool stuff.  The first disc, 'New York 1981,'
purports to be one of Albert's last gigs with the band.  Given his
playing on this disc, you have to wonder what genius wanted to tell
him to fout le camp?  Albert is great here, as is the whole band, but
there is one very annyoying aspect to this disc:  it's a radio station
production, and some moron decided to fade out all the song
endings!  If you can stomach this insane editing, it's a good disc.

The second disc, 'Pasadena Perkins Palace 1983,' is pretty good
stuff.  I think I've encountered it on some footwear of the past.
It's interesting for the inclusion of Workshop of the Telescopes, and
Born To Rock, from BD's Flat Out.

Interesting that Sony keeps trying to mine more of the BÖC vein,
kind of like Fantasy records and all the old CCR stuff.  If you like
'em so much, why did you drop them in the first place?

Anyone got any BÖC news?  c.f., the planned DVD or any follow-up
to CofHM?  I see they aren't playing all that much this summer...

theo