OFF: Spacehead (was: calling jonathan jarrett)

Wed May 8 18:08:19 EDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 03:35:21PM +0100, Daniel Jackson typed out:
> what's yer problem with spacehead mate?
> mr dibs

        Well. Since you ask me. In a public forum and all. The polite and
tactful answer would be that though I have some time for _Of Stars and
Time_, I think that the loss of Phil H. deprives Spacehead of an important
texture and subtlety that made its impact more solemn and deep, and that
the more basic and high-speed version that exists now lacks the appeal
that that solemnity gave it.

        The tactless and impolite version would be to refer you to these
older postings of mine on the subject. And before you look at them, if you
can honestly be bothered, I should stress that I'm not a musician,
couldn't do what they do [1] and that you should probably impute any
difference in our perspectives to my deviant taste rather than their
output.

        But, I can be found putting in the boot in:

<http://listserv.spc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9909C&L=BOC-L&P=R599>

<http://listserv.spc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0101A&L=BOC-L&P=R8084>

        Though I even found some nice things to say about them while
attempting not to start a flamewar with Andy Garibaldi over my suggesting
Krel were a touch imitative, in:

<http://listserv.spc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0101D&L=BOC-L&P=R12144>

        But what, as Bernard Shaw said, are you and I against so
many? Hopefully you will be happy to discount me as a madman. Yours,
                                                                     Jon
Jarrett

[1] Now I scout through them I notice I said I could write better
lyrics. But I've only got _Of Stars and Time_ so yours may have
outstripped mine in quality since then, and in any case the fundamental
thing would be that none of mine have been recorded.
ObCD: Monster Magnet - _Dopes To Infinity_
--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk