BOC: Newcastle Opera House

John Cartledge john.cartledge at SUNDERLAND.AC.UK
Thu May 16 04:18:18 EDT 2002

A brief review of last night's BOC gig at Newcastle.

First time I'd seen them since Imaginos (89?), but worth the wait. They
took a packed Opera House apart. Excellent sound, superb musicianship.
Just a shame it had to come to an end. Erics voice seemed ok and the
band were obviously enjoying themselves. Heard a rumour that Allen had
hurt his hand so couldn't do Joan Crawford, although how much credence
should be given to that I wouldn't like to say. He did play a lot of
guitar though.

Anyway. If you have a chance of seeing them this week but haven't
decided, make the effort. On this showing you won't be disappointed.

Set List (can't remember the exact order):
Burnin' For You
OD'd On Life
ETI
Harvester of Eyes
Pocket
Cities On Flame
Teen Archer
Quicklime Girl
Perfect Water
See You In Black
Golden Age of Leather ---- Would have been the highlight of the night
for me except for :
Last Days Of May (Absolutely superb. Best I've ever seen them do it.
Lasted best part of 15 minutes. Allens solo was good, but Buck's was
something else completely. He just gets better.)
Godzilla (Only minor grumble was that the bass and drum solos checked
the momentum of the gig a bit, and caused half the audience to shoot to
the bar/netty!)
Don't Fear The Reaper

Encore: Dominance & Submission.

Roll on next time.