OFF: CLUB SANDWICH REVIEWS

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri May 17 21:01:12 EDT 2002

Well, hey!  Good reviews deserve a random response (best *I'm* capable
of) ... (lots of egocentric chatter contained within so feel free to
hit "delete" now) ...

On Fri, 17 May 2002 02:24:29 +0100, =?iso-8859-1?q?Amphetamine=20Embalmer?=
<superskrull666 at YAHOO.CO.UK> wrote:
>CLUB SANDWICH REVIEWS
>(c) 2001-2002 Charlie Yuga
>
>Entombed/New Bomb Turks - Night Of The Vampire/I Hate
>People split 7"
> ... US garage
>hardcore and rock'n'roll punkband The New Bomb Turks ...

... who, of course, were on the vinyl edition of the 'Assassins of Silence'
Hawkwind tribute.  Their version of "Ejection" can be found on CD on
their 'Pissing Out The Poison' singles/compilation tracks collection.

>... do their own song, "I Hate People", a fast, short and
>violent statement of hate and utter human disgust, a
>raw slab of sheer noise and certainly a glorious chunk
>of man-hatin' punkrock!
>
>Alan Davey - Chaos Delight
>(Black Widow, 2000, Davey's energetic and hard driven
>instrumental guitar-psychedelia veers towards science
>fiction soundtracks and souped up garage spacerock
>brimming with 'tronics, it should appeal to fans of
>Helios Creed or F/i. Coming with a Heavy Metal-style
>comic book with an intricately illustrated Conan-type
>story, the album is a nice addition for fans of
>Hawkwind, spacerock and psychedelia in general, though
>not gaining any extra points for creeping musical
>monotony.)

... unfortunately, not an unfair accusation, and one that could also be
leveled at the solo work of Dave Brock & Simon House (at least to these tin
ears).  If the next Hawkwind album consists of: Dave song / Alan Song /
Simon Song / Huw song / etc., it will probably be their most disappointing
ever (not *worst*, but most disappointing - the current lineup leads to
high expectations - flame away if you disagree!).  However (yeah, I know
I've said this before), if those guys are writing *together*, cross-
fertilizing and warping/manipulating each others songs and ideas, it should
easily be their best album since the 1970's.

>Captain Jesus And The Sunray Dream - All Thanks To The
>Lord Jesus Christ Amen
>(with Ron Bastard of Hawkwind on vocals and bass, it

I think that the lead singer for this band was the guitarist, not Ron.  Ron
just played bass.  Both their albums are killer, and I should publicly
flagellate myself for not having made CD-R transfers of my copies, yet.

>F/i - Five Crowns Of The Saxon King/From Poppy With
>Love 7"
> (A mindaltering and brutal avalanche of industrial
>punkrock, this 1995 RRR release sounds like a sinister
>and souped up "Interstellar Overdrive" or "Set The
>Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" as jammed out in a
>basement by a bunch of speedfreaks, building violently
>beyond Hawkwind speed and dangerously beyond the laws
>of boogie, so wear a crash helmet if you are high!

Sadly, the long version of "Poppy" was only released on the now-vanished
(master tapes & everything, apparently), German-only 'Paradise Out Here'
LP.  But since I couldn't talk Eric (Primordial Undermind) Arn into doing a
Hawkwind cover, this was the next best thing.  One of the alltime great
spacerock riffs IMO ...

>Blue Öyster Cult - Live 1976
>(Closing with a killer version of Steppenwolf's "Born
>To Be Wild", and aside from including other classic
>BÖC songs like "Stairway To The Stars", "Cities On
>Flame", "Astronomy", "Dominance And Submission" and
>"Don't Fear The Reaper", this somewhat raw quality
>performance contains lots of funny political stage
>banter from a very stoned Eric Bloom throughout ...

And I'll still claim to be the only person who's covered Eric's
brilliant "no more repressive drug laws and 55mph speed limit" rap in front
of an audience.

>Hüsker Dü - Everything Falls Apart And More
>(Hüsker Dü's first album from 1980 is a definite
>hardcore classic, and the CD version comes with
>several bonus tracks. Uncompromisingly political and
>brutal in their early days, Bob Mould, Grant Hart and
>Greg Norton blasted through angry and brutally heavy
>hardcore punk 100 mph workouts like "From The Gut",
>"Signals From Above", "M.I.C." and "Lets Go Die", yet
>they shone through with the melancholy pop sensibilies
>of songs like "Do You Remember?" and "Everything Falls
>Apart", finely crafted pop something the band would
>later be swallowed by on albums like their final
>effort "Warehouse,Songs And Stories" from 1987, which
>recognized Mould & co. as forefathers of US
>indierock, as well as being remembered as hardcore
>pioneers.)

Yeah, GREAT CD!  I don't like the next album ('Land Speed Record') because
it has the opposite problem as 'Warehouse' - all hardcore and no pop.
Subsequent releases ('Metal Circus', 'Zen Arcade') restored and perfected
the balance.

>-Charlie Yuga
>http://bloomingdales.dreamstation.com/pulp/
>---
>"You can take the Beatle out of Uncle Charlie, but you
>can't take Uncle Charlie out of The Beatles!"
>- Bastard Ceremonial Proverb Of The Immortal
>Blasphemers Of Sodom

Except that the Beach Boys covered (even stealing the credits) one of his
songs and the Beatles never did!

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com