HW: Hawkwind - Live 1990

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Tue May 28 15:21:53 EDT 2002

This is now out, and it's an absolutely essential release from one of the
high points of the band's career. Starting on disc 2, track 4, and
continuing to the end, is the 1990-01-25 Nottingham (Live Legends) gig, the
Bedrock show described in the liner notes. These tracks constitute one of
the finest releases EVER from Dave Brock and company and you are required to
go out and buy it now. Amazing stuff. To nitpick a bit, the sound does not
seem to be much different from the *ahem* unofficial 'Temporal Adventures'
disc, and it is missing the closing track 'Wind of Change' that appeared on
'TA' and the video (but which apparently also does not appear on the recent
DVD release, as per previous posts by others here), but that is small stuff.
All of disc 1 and the first 3 tracks of disc 2 seem to comprise a full
concert from another date - it does not sound like the Leicester 1990-11-05
'Live in Space - The NeverEnding Story of the Psychedelic Warlords' gig as
has been surmised here, but I suspect it is from the immediately following
US tour, and the track list matches that for 1990-11-28 or one of the shows
between 1990-12-02 and 1990-12-05, although the closer 'Reefer Madness' has
again been lopped off. I am sure Bernhard will be letting us know the actual
facts as soon as he listens to it. This gig is not quite as great as the
Live Legends set (the recently departed Simon House being the big
difference) but it is still very good and a worthy companion to the
Nottingham show. I repeat, you are required to go out and buy this now!

Stephan