Off: BBC Tardis court case

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sun Nov 3 17:02:00 EST 2002

Warning: Hawkwind content = 0

I've just done a CANMORE search http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/ and there are
52 police call boxes in Edinburgh that have Historic Monument Listing.
A bit like red phone boxes or post boxes that have VR or GR inscribed on
the front (Victoria Regina or Georgivs Rex).   Especially rare ones
still have their air raid warning siren on top!

However, much as I am an avid fan of Dr. Who (and I love having digital
TV because I can watch all the old episodes whenever they are re-shown)
I remain extremely puzzled as to how the BBC could possibly get away
with claiming the copyright.    Notwithstanding the Dr. Who connection
they are called Police Boxes and in another 25 years or so when the
number of people who do not know about the Dr. Who connection will be
considerably larger than those who do they will still undoubtedly be
called Police Boxes.  I am astonished that a piece of media fictionality
has been allocated precedence over reality but I guess that's how
History gets written.

The problem now is who is responsible for their upkeep?   There's one
down at Jock's Lodge in Edinburgh in a sad, sorry state but I assume the
Beeb won't pay for its repair.    Obviously the police won't any more;
I'm sure the Council doesn't want anything to do with it and I doubt the
Dr. Who Society has enough funds to cover the thousands across the
country.   I guess it's Adopt a Police Box time - any volunteers?  We
could set up a charity..........

Evening All
jill
Jill Strobridge <jill at theta-orionis.freeserve.co.uk>