how long, how many, and why

Bryan Young jwhe10 at SK.SYMPATICO.CA
Tue Nov 12 20:29:36 EST 2002

> a little Hawkwind poll:
>

> *Hawkwind fan:  since about 1981 or 1982 (got my first taste of Hawkwind
while I was in Grade 9, age 14)

> *how many CD's:  about 125 if you count Hawkwind only, but easily 200 if
you count all the Friends and Relations.  And if you count Motorhead, then
add another 80.  Grand Total would be about 280 of Hawkwind, Motorhead, and
related.

> *collects live recordings and other Hawkwind junk:  Yes - live stuff, tour
books, dvds, posters, etc...  I guess if you're going to count live
recordings (on cdr), then you'd have to add at least another 50-60 discs to
the grand total above.

> *why a Hawkwind fan:  I was originally a Motorhead diehard, and was
curious to how Lemmy sounded in the early days.  Now, though, Hawkwind is
probably more my main concern than Motorhead, mostly because they are so
unique, and because they mix all the best elements of music together - heavy
stuff, spacey stuff, fast stuff, slow cerebral stuff, etc.  Also interesting
to note that back in Grade 7 I was a diehard Michael Moorcock reader,
devouring all the Elric books, Corum books, etc at the age of about 11 to
12.  I had no idea that he had any connection to music, and was thrilled to
see how all of my various interests at all stages of my life have led to
Hawkwind, even though I didn't know it at the time.

> *First album you picked up: cassette version of the UA compilation
"Masters of the Universe", and then had my brain expanded on the first
listen!  "Brainstorm", "Orgone Accumulator", and "Master of the Universe"
were played as loud as possible for the next few months.  Couldn't find any
more Hawkwind for about 2 years, and then only "Live Chronicles" on
cassette.  That was it for the next 4 years until I ran into Jeff Swick
while in Saskatoon for University.  Jeff is my mentor!

> *Seen live how many times: 0 (HW)  and 0 (Nik and crew)   - Sorry, guys,
but I'm stuck in one of the more remote and unpopulated areas of Canada.

> *Nik or Dave: Dave is my Hawkwind.  Nik is cool, though, and I collect his
stuff, but it's not to be confused with Hawkwind any more than Robert
Calvert's solo stuff would be.

Bryan Young