Metallica

Bryan Young jwhe10 at SK.SYMPATICO.CA
Fri Nov 15 01:07:02 EST 2002

I hate Metallica, and will never buy another album of theirs again.  I used
to buy everything, but the "Black Album" finished it for me, and what I
heard of Load and beyond was not even remotely interesting to me.  Funny, as
I'm usually a very loyal geezer, but Metallica really burned a lot of
bridges.  That's the first band I've ever cleaned house on, selling all of
their stuff and never once feeling any regret.

But, I do have to argue with you on originality.  Back in the day (about
1983 or so), their sound was very original, and they actually made a pretty
good effort at saving metal from the hair bands that were taking over.
Listen to Saxon circa 1984 and then listen to Metallica circa 1984, and
you'll know what I mean.  But the sad fact is that they turned their back on
the metal crowd with their output from the last decade and a half, and none
of the metal guys I know even bothers to think about them.

So, let's give them some credit for their first 2 or 3 albums, but let's
forever expunge them from our memories for what they did after "Justice".

And as far as Lars being an intellectual, I argue again.  He's never struck
me as being particularly perceptive.  Maybe he just looks smart next to
Kirk, who has never shown any intelligence beyond that of most unicellular
life.  Yes, compared to Kirk, Lars could be quite smart indeed...    (I
still think Jason Newsted was the smartest guy in the band, and really the
only guy who didn't sell out.)

But you're dead right when you talk about Motorhead.  That's the band that
really deserves to be mentioned when we start talking about originality!
Let's hope Lemmy continues for many years to come!

Bryan