ALL: Originality (was: Metallica) now back to originality ;-)

Michael Blackman michael_1968 at OZEMAIL.COM.AU
Fri Nov 15 05:21:48 EST 2002

ORIGINAL:

adj.
Preceding all others in time; first.

Not derived from something else; fresh and unusual: an original play, not an
adaptation.
Showing a marked departure from previous practice; new: a truly original
approach. See Synonyms at new.
Productive of new things or new ideas; inventive: an original mind.
Being the source from which a copy, reproduction, or translation is made.

n.
A first form from which other forms are made or developed: Later models of
the car retained many features of the original.

An authentic work of art: bought an original, not a print.
Work that has been composed firsthand: kept the original but sent a
photocopy to his publisher.
A person who is appealingly odd or curious; a character.
Archaic. The source from which something arises; an originator.

My cynical 2 p's worth.....

Not always appreciated at first
Often freaks people out
Causes fundamentalists to want to burn anything related

You have to ask yourself.  Do you become the originator of an original idea
only if you make that idea a commercial success?  What about the garage
bands  who have the same idea but never got onto the airwaves etc?

I am a big fan of the term; "Personal Expression."  & "Be Yourself"  but I'm
sure I am not the first to use them ;-)

Peace, Love & Light.  If it feels good and doesn't hurt others then it must
be right.