HW: how long, how many, and why

Ian Abrahams mail at ABRAHAMSI.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat Nov 16 04:44:11 EST 2002

> *Hawkwind fan: since about 1980/1, first saw them on the Mike Moorcock
"Time Out of Mind" BBC Documentary, then listening to Live 79 in my cousin's
car on the way to gigs (The Jam, Costello, The Stranglers etc at the soon to
be demolished -as I understand it - Cornwall Coliseum)

> *how many CD's: 70ish I guess, excluding live recordings
>
> *collects live recordings and other Hawkwind junk: Yes to live
recordings - about 300 gigs including F&Rs, no to other stuff (other than
research material for a potential biography)

> *why a Hawkwind fan: There's a quote in Jon Savage's book "Englands
Dreaming" wherein Malcom Garrett, talking about his influences when
designing for the Buzzcocks, discusses his Hawkwind influences "They were
completely divorced from the music industry: this family unit with Barney
Bubbles and the dancers and the lights. When you went to see them you
entered this whole experience, even without the drugs" To me, this pretty
neatly sums up the appeal!

> *First album you picked up: I *think* it was QSAM - I liked Spirit of the
Age from Live 79 and got this album because it was on it..couldn't believe
how different the versions where, and got a clue that there was something
very different about this band.

> *Seen live how many times: about 15 times

> *Nik or Dave: Dave.

Ian