ALL: Originality (was: Metallica)

Bill Bradley senator at HURL.UGCS.CALTECH.EDU
Sat Nov 16 12:56:40 EST 2002

> Sorry, I just had that cut on my mind, It's hilarious. So if not "Louie
> Louie" (or "Ruthie Ruthie" for that matter), how about the REST of
> _Uncle Meat_? Or _Lumpy Gravy_? :-)
>
> Certainly, Crimson is influenced by classical music, but I still believe
> that Wetton-era Crimson was stunningly original. Anyway, it all boils
> down to one's definition of "original". You could argue that all music
> is unoriginal because notes are used (very derivative).
>
> Oh well, music has all been downhill from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony
> anyway. But it's still a lot of fun.
>
> Guido

        They steal, but obscurely.
        The middle section of "Moonchild" is from a chinese ritual for Guan-yin
(I was floored in class in college when I saw a video of the ceremony and
immediately recognised the music) and Ba-Boom is by the Kodo drummers
(introduced by Koko as being unusual for being in 7/8 time).  I noticed that
neither of these were properly credited in the liners... rather hypocritical
on Fripp's part given his soapboxing for artists rights.

        Bill