ALL: Originality (was: Metallica)

Tom Clark tclark at PETRONET.NET
Sun Nov 17 02:37:56 EST 2002

Einsturtsende Neubauten......

Chainsaws, drills, assorted oddities which somehow combined to make music.
Would have liked to have seen their stage act....

Contrived, perhaps, but someone had to do it, they did. and it was unique in
a sometimes abrasive way.

(Original? maybe forcefully so...)

Still think Col. Bruce Hampton's Aquarium Rescue Unit music, though
musically perhaps not original for the most part due to fragmented
influences, at least lyrically it is, and he has turned the most obvious
into something completely different.  Ok..that can belong to the "twisted
influences" category, though definitely not lyrically and are cited as
influences among certain circles.  This dude is straaaaaange in a kewl way.

Sun Ra from a jazzy perspective was certainly original in his approach....

And OK... Robert Johnson, who was a godfather of most modern rock
influences, without whom I wonder where music would have gone today without
that....most of what we hear today in Rock anyway is derived from his
influence along with newer amplified technology and creative twists on the
same themes.  Robert Mayall, Yardbirds, Zepp, etc, and what came thereafter
which was a twist of those influences was a direct result of that alone and
in conjunction with Celtic influences.   Technology has made it possible
then to derive new sounds from that, amplify it,and indirectly were
influenced by a conglomeration of what had already been done.   Ther is no
getting around that.

Ooooops....rambling again.....one extreme leads to another....what came
first...the chicken or the egg kind of questions......Amplified Polka beats
with strange electronic sounds emanating, I do not think would go over too
well, however, though if that was all there was to go by, what would the
state of music be today?

A simplistic and admittedly moronic viewpoint, despite all of that, where
the hell did Barry Manilow, Helen Reddy  and Phil Collins and "ho-Ho-Ho-It;s
Magic", et al...come from, by god.   Freaks of nature.

G'night.

Oooops ....just got home after a few...so forgive these ramblings....

Will read this again in the morning and wish I could have deleted this...