BOC/BRAIN:Imaginos

Scruton, Jason Jason.Scruton at DFA.STATE.NY.US
Wed Nov 20 09:52:10 EST 2002

> The way they play "Siege..." live, who knows? It might end up
> on a record.
or a live album, perhaps?

I remember waaaay back, a long time ago in the early 1950s (slap)
(ETL and Email don't mix.)
Seriously, back in 93/94 or so I remember Albert wrote up a quick list of
songs that
he was particularly fond of, and cited "siege" as the heaviest song to bear
the BOC label.
Its now, in 2002, the heaviest song to bear the tBS label, live at least. In
studio, I'd have to
vouch for some of the tunage on Trep and Box of Hammers.  Piece of Work has
heavy moments, but
they're... indirect, like a heaviness of atmosphere v. the
poundingpoundingpounding power of an evil, evil riff. Eh, carpe diem one and
all.

> I don't know about new songs, but you could imagine a lot of
> Surgeons songs
> might fit in the cycle already:
> Brain From Terra Incognita - Desdinova contemplates running
> for office in order to screw with history from within.
> Starts out with some  big ideas, but
> comes across as too cocky ("Only conclusion is, I am your
> lord.", etc.) and most likely loses the election to a more centrist
candidate.

I dig this spin a lot. My affection for destruction, oblivion, and holocaust
has been there since Eponymous came out, as if my 'email name" doesn't give
that away.

The reworking of Lady of the Harbor on the tour did lots for the 'punch' of
the song.
Nowhere near as loungey as the Pull the Plug take of the tune.
The "do you?" sounds more militant in its questioning, as if making it
imperative that you answer "DO you have a dream?" with a yes. Rock.

I'd add for the sake of fun and tribute to Pete Bs. contribution to
surgeon-sound:
Donkey Show: when del rio/desdinova is in Mexico searching for the black
mirror, he
takes some time to enjoy the local culture, and hope that his grand-daughter
doesnt get involved in such attempts at self-expression. (grin)

I cannot access the FAQ, but wasn't the "Motor City's Burning" version of
Cities on Flame listed a component in  either the first or 3rd installment
o' the trilogy?
They do play Cities live after all -- which, sorry Bobby R., has the Swing
you ain't got.

And since we're all talking the brain surgeons (or at least neil,bri and
me/I(?)) Given the recent re-recording of tunes for the new one in an
acoustic manner, I wonder the disc will take the twisty turns hinted at by
Madam X Factor... mmm the joy of speculating.

Tippycanoe and tyler too,
Jason