HW: Pub meets (was Re: Uk Tour)

Mark Von Bargen mark.von-bargen at O2.CO.UK
Thu Nov 21 02:49:14 EST 2002

Eric,

A hopefully short explanation:
The venue is in Wolstenholme Square and the streets mentioned are those that
lead on to the square except Hotham Street which is about a mile away (more
later).

Nation is the building. In the early days of clubbing it was called The
Academy and it was brilliant for a dance music venue. After a couple of
years it became Nation.
A little time later a club night called Cream was started by a couple of
chancers (ticket touts trying to move into a bigger world - it obviously
worked). The Cream nights really took off and soon the place was generally
known as Cream even though the building is still called Nation.

Meanwhile, a little indie music venue started up in a completely different
location. It was called The Lomax.
Typical acts were early Oasis, American hardcore metal bands, The Alarm!!
etc....
Later, The Lomax started a bigger venue called L2 (that was behind the
Empire Theatre where HW have played a few times - this is the Hotham Street
site).
Both the Lomax and the L2 eventually closed down - as most venues do close
down after a while in Liverpool. The Lomax name was incorporated into the
Nation venue (don't know if the original Lomax guys are still involved - if
they are that will be good news as they now how to run a venue pretty well).
So you end up with variations of Lomax at Cream@Nation.
By the way, the Cream nights have now closed down. The crowd numbers dipped
a bit so they decided to get out of Liverpool and move down to London. I
could swear at this point and reveal lots of crappy truth about Cream but it
is BOC-L and I won't.
Versions of this note may disagree with the recently published Cream history
book. That is because I am telling the truth.
Should be a good night; roll on 8th December - don't expect to see much
seating in the venue.
Mark