BOC: at Utica, should [i] care? [LONG]

Scruton, Jason Jason.Scruton at DFA.STATE.NY.US
Mon Nov 25 09:50:10 EST 2002

hi,
Glad we can agree to disagree. and a good rippin to boot.

so on with the show--
>  If
> they'd all dropped dead, you'd be bitching that they fell backwards
> instead of frontwards!
or complain that they chose cremation instead of proper burial. :)

> you can't hear him, then he's feeding back, and then he sounds like
> shit because he's playing through a make of amp you don't like!
I actually had no objection to the amp type.
Crate was the only name i read on more than one piece o equip.
from where I was in the crowd, and simply used it for
descriptive purposes of conveying the 'wankery.'

I guess I just don't like songs with solos that are too long and dont move
the tune anywhere.
extending last days of may in the middle always hit me as being too much
soloing, and loses the atmosphere of the piece. or something like that.
Seein' allen actually solo for any length on the DVD made it interesting
because with the exception of that weird lil blues thing they did a few
years back before In Thee, I didnt really get as sense of how well he could
play.

> But it's okay for you to holler like an idiot at a tBS gig
> with 5 people in the hall, right?
Yes, if it's actually for the band on stage.
my beef with the guys behind me was that they knew he'd be showing up in the
set so they could have just waited.  They reminded me of Homer watching
Bachman turner overdrive, yelling to the band "Taking care of business" and
telling the group what part of the song to play next.

on that note, i was a bit surprised how long Al was on stage. 4 songs is a
heckuva lot.

> That's because they didn't have a strobe.  IMHO, thy shouldn't even
> do the song unless they've got a strobe effect for it.
huh. I didnt even notice the strobelessnes of the song...
the place seemed like it should have 'em, given the twirly things on the
ceiling.

> After ripping you throughout this post, I have to say I WAS TOO!
> But for different reasons.  My biggest problem was the setlist:
Heh.ya gotta like that.
All you would have to do was add "Before the kiss a redcap" and you had the
same kind of show, more or less, that they were playing in the mid 90s...

> Hey, BÖC got Joe
> Bonamassa up for a song a couple years ago in New Hartford [Joe
> B's hometown] and no one objected, and he was nowhere near as
> good a fit as Al was.
Didnt they cover "Slow Down" with Joe?

> was okay.  In fact, hearing it made me want to get my band to
> tackle it in future...
Was the piano solo audible from where you were?

> The band seemed to be
> having a ball with young Al up there on stage.  His grasp of the
> material was impressive.
I may or may not have it right but I thought that when they brought Al up
there,eric said something about how he didn't know the song... he seemed to
be watching Lanier's fretboard for guidance at the beginning, at least.

>  You neglected to mention a couple of
> equipment snafus early in the show, and some seeming tension
> bet.
True about the equip. problems. It would have been cool if Buck went along
and played blackbird while Bobby's drum kit was fixed.

I guess my problem was they just didnt kick my ass like they used to, or at
least
in this showing.  That, more than anything, took me by surprise at the show.
In the past, the rabidity of my enjoyment of the oyster boys was comparable
to a
show by the Brain Surgeons. the formers reliance on the same songs for YEARS
in the set
just strikes me as odd, since they play them so often. But hey, if they like
the tunes,
more power to the oyster boys.