BOC: at Utica, should [i] care? [LONG]

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Nov 25 12:14:37 EST 2002

On 25 Nov 2002, at 11:40, Scruton, Jason wrote:

> > All you gear fans out there:  Looks like BD was using the new uber
> > Crate amps, the larger Blue Voodoo model [although these were
> > covered in red tolex]
>
> A question about Buck:  he's been playing the cheeseburger guitar a
> lot, but why doesn't he use the guitar he designed?

No idea, but I suspect the EdBerger/Cheeseberger is his most
reliable axe.  He plays it throughout the DVD, so he must have used
the guitar that he depends upon most, as he couldn't afford to have
guitar trouble on a videotaped gig.  Most road warriors play their
most reliable gtrs at gigs, not nec. the ones they like best or that
sound best, unless they're like the old BÖC when you can haul all
the gear ya want...

As for the EdBerger, it was assembled for BD by the notorious Ed
Roman, a big fan, so it's likely an amalgam of the best parts ER
could put together...

> > I"'ve been going back listening to the remasters, and it's
> > surprising how much lead Allen does on those early discs.  Did you
> > notice how much guitar Allen played Sat. night?  Even before Al got
> > up there, Allen was playing mainly guitar, exc. Buck's Boogie...
>
> Yeah, eric was confined to kybds. for the most part.

Maybe that's why he was so grouchy?  Maybe he just doesn't like
things stirred up too much?

> > Stilts instead of Old Gods Return?  Seems an easy choice, unless
> > they actually thing it's time to branch out...
> huh! i looked at the set, songwise
> eric sang 5 to Bucks 7* (including buck's boogie,
> cuz... well... its his boogie)

Good on ya!  Never even thought of it.  They were doing Old Gods
for a while there, and I thought it went over very well...

> > I think it was EB who was pissed at Al's being there, and BD and
> > Allen were fine with it.
> Erid did uncaracteristically swear before Godzilla (i think), saying
> Al would stay on the stage for a few song n' adding, "why the fuck
> not?" My Fave godzilla performace is on SEE. was that possibly editted
> short, since AB had his drum solo in the tune?  or was it maybe
> recorded at a time when he did his break during Buck's Boogie (a la
> Live 1976)

Good question.  Probably just edited down for SEE...

> > synch.  Can't tell you why, it just was.  Maybe a combination of
> > equip. problems, small crowd, moe. fans in the house, who knows?

> Or being muscled by the utica mafia?:)

Don't tempt me!  My old boss was murdered in Utica, and the crime
was never solved!  True story, I don't think they ever even questioned
anybody.  We all figured it was a mob hit...

theo