OFF: Re: Potential new BOC/HW fan and bass player

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Nov 25 15:47:44 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 02:00:08 -0500, Eric Siegerman <erics at TELEPRES.COM>
wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:34:49PM -0700, Brad Dahl wrote:
>> Oh yeah, there are a few of us who started out wanting to be bass
>> players.
>
>Somehow I suspect Lemmy was one.

Surprisingly ... Bzzzzzt.  No.  Wrong.  Incorrect.

He started out wanting to play guitar in order to get girls (duh!).
He played guitar in at least four bands (Motown Set, Rockin' Vicars, Sam
Gopal's Escalator, Opal Butterfly) before joining Hawkwind.
He originally wanted to join Hawkwind as guitarist to replace Huw.
He only joined Hawkwind because Dave Anderson didn't show up for a free
show, and Dik Mik said to the rest of the band, "hey, my mate Lemmy plays
bass" (a lie), followed by Nik: "This is called 'You Shouldn't Do That',
make some noises in 'E'" (at which point the band played an entirely
different song, which seems to be pretty indicative of Lemmy & Nik's
relationship in Hawkwind).
source: 'White Line Fever'.  Buy it (amazon.co.uk if you're on the wrong
side of the pond).  Read it.  It rules.

>The way I read FZ's original, it wasn't a matter of having little
>to offer, as much as of just losing the argument over who gets to
>play lead guitar.

Did anyone see the recent Simpson's episode with the "rock&roll holiday
camp"?  Not very funny, unfortunately, except for the bit where they're
handing out instruments, and NOBODY wants the bass ... they ALL want to
play guitar.

    -Doug (who always DID want to play bass)
     jasret at mindspring.com