OFF: University of Errors last night

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Oct 9 11:55:33 EDT 2002

Did any other listmembers attend the gig at the Islington Garage last
night? Probably not, as the place was only half-full- a criminal shame, as
this was a stupendous performance from Daevid Allen and his new cohorts.

I went on my own- others were either uncontactable, or, in one case, unable
to attend as his wife was having a baby- just about the only acceptable
excuse! Support act was Richard Sinclair, of Caravan and Hatfield And The
North semi-fame, playing a few acoustic numbers in a mellow jazzy style.
This particular strand of pastoral English whimsy has never tickled my
fancy and so it proved again last night- left me cold. But to be fair most
seemed to enjoy it and he got a good reception. The most interesting thing
that happened was someone in the audience joining in with some impromptu
flute accompaniment. I think I have seen the flautist before, guesting
onsatge with Acid Mothers Temple at the RFH a few months ago. But I digress.

The U of E came on to a tape of circus-style music and indulged in a little
clowning before getting down to the business in hand. It was superb. No
doubt Mr Allen is a man of many parts but no New Age tweeness last night,
this was loud'n'filthy avant-garde psychedelic punk with the band playing
as if possessed. Josh Pollock is simply extraordinary, wrenching wild
sheets of noise from his guitar. If you've heard Peter Laughner's playing
on the early Pere Ubu singles, the guitar sound isn't a million miles away
from that, but if anything even more unhinged, teetering on the edge of
chaos but always *just* controlled enough- given the audacity of the
musical risks being taken, it was remarkable that the band so rarely broke
down into self-indulgence or incoherence. The drummer (whose name I didn't
catch) was similarly uninhibited, and credit has to go to bassist Michael
Clare (who looks oddly like the writer Will Self) for keeping it all
together, seemingly impervious to the lunacy all around him. I struggle to
give points of reference but if you can imagine Camembert-era Gong crossed
with the MC5 and the Bonzo Dog band (a stretch I know) you're in the
general area.

What did they play? I can't give a complete setlist but most of the
forthcoming "Ugly Music For Monica" album was aired, as I was able to
confirm at home later with my newly acquired pre-release cd-r. This is
easily the best album the band have recorded, it doesn't *quite* capture
the full frenzy of the live attack- how could it- but it's the best thing
Daevid has done for many years and if you have any interest in the man, you
NEED this album. Other than that, some glorious and rarely-heard classics
were given the Errorization treatment- barnstorming renditions of "Hope for
Happiness", "Pot Head Pixies", "Pretty Miss Titty" and a superb rendition
of Kevin Ayers' "Clarence in Wonderland"- for the first 30 seconds or so I
thought this was going to be the Velvets' "Sister Ray"- yup we're talking
*radical* turbo-charging of the old faves here.

Current Gong sax-man Theo Travis came on to add to the sonic squall at one
point, and it was by far the loosest and boldest playing I've heard from
him. But the absolute standout highlight was "Fohat Digs Holes in Space",
during which the venue took off and went into orbit around the Crab Nebula.
If you've never heard the U of E's take on this ancient Gong classic, you
must. You must!

The band are due to play some dates in Sweden soon, but you shouldn't let a
little thing like a few thousand miles keep you from seeing this amazing
band. Especially as the University's financial situation would appear to be
parlous- why else would they be selling pre-release cd-r's of the new album
for a fiver each- this is a unique and quite brilliant band, and I implore
anyone and everyone to get behind them. Tell your friends, tell your
enemies, tell all the people you do not know.

good afternoon

NM