OFF: 35007 (was: Pseudo Sun)

Sat Oct 12 21:43:00 EDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 08:25:06PM +0200, Andreas Stuewe typed out:

> A few days ago I went to see the dutch band 35007 again after some years (I saw
> them first in 91 supporting HW in Tilburg/NL). They are an instrumental space
> rock outfit doing some very heavy blanga. And that´s just it: blanga, blanga,
> blanga. Inbetween the songs they had some ambient synth noodling though.
> For about 45 min as support act it´s really good. But after one hour it was too
> much for me to endure, so I left. They had their new album "Liquid" for sale for
> a very reasonable price, but I didn´t care to buy it. I already have their first
> 2 albums which is one more than you actually need. What I´m trying to say is
> this: I love some heavy blanga, yes, but it must be placed in the context of a
> song, like HW do. Or like Juba does it with PS.

        I've heard of 35007 as a stoner band, I'm impressed they were
supporting HW as the two scenes so often seem not to touch each
other. Bedouin should have signed to Rise Above or the late lamented Man's
Ruin ages ago, it's not like there's that much difference in
style... And there's a band like Red Giant in the US who are really
stoner-metal more than space, got tied up in the Strange Daze thing
and no-one on stonerrock.com knows who they are... Anyway, if 35007
managed to cross the zone that's good. Which of the two albums is the one
to get? I've been wondering about their stuff for a while now.

        Me, I'm not so desperate for the blanga to be song-shaped. It's
nice if that's clearly within the range of the band, but this is one of
the things that annoys me about HW; there's all this effort putting songs
together, when what we probably want is just for the band to stay at
Dave's for a week and jam 24/7 and then clip the best sixty minutes, work
it over and call it an album. We all know it'd be great. But instead we'll
get four songs and a load of synth filler, on current expectations. Gah.
Yours,
       Jon

--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk