HW: vote

Jobson, Eddie EJobson at THRUPOINT.NET
Wed Sep 4 11:47:34 EDT 2002

I saw someone post a mail recently titled vote. I presumed this was a poll
to vote on favourite HW songs?

I didn't respond as I would find it difficult to vote on a lot of their
songs with the exception of some unique one off recordings such as The
Demented Man or Over the Top. Songs like these were obviously only ever done
once and in my opinion are classics, but other songs would depend on the HW
era or line up performing them. For example I might not say that Master of
the Universe was one of my top ten songs but would prefer to say what
perticular version of certain songs would be my favourites. For what it's
worth my top ten (in no particular order), might be:

The Demented Man - Warrior album
Over the Top - Sonic Assasins
Back on the Street - Weird 105
Orgone Accumulator - Space Ritual
Master of the Universe - Text of Festivals
Silver Machine - Glastonbury fayre
Urban Guerilla - Lyceum bootleg 13/7/80
Shouldn't Do That - Roadhawks
Reefer Madness - Music Machine '77
In the Office? - US Tour Video -89
Damage of Life - Yule Ritual

oopps that's eleven, but do you get where I'm coming from, because some of
these songs in other versions might just sound ok. I suppose that's what
makes Hawkwind different.

Also someone listed the Nik Turner set recently inc. songs such as MOTU,
Brainstorm, D-Rider etc the ones Nik wrote/co-wrote and if I remembered
correctly hasn't HW now dropped these songs, which were over the years
almost guaranteed at a live performance, but do not remember seeing MOTU and
Brainstorm listed for Hastings and don't remember hearing them when at the
Summer Camp. I wonder if this is something Dave has done intentionally after
the alleged differences with Nik recently, by introducing his written songs
over ones that Nik was involved in. Just wondered.

Cheers,

Eddie.