BOC: HW: OFF: Sights in Munich

Steve Youles youless at LVCM.COM
Mon Sep 9 21:17:41 EDT 2002

In 1985, when I was living in San Francisco, I interviewed for a job as a
PC technician with a local defence contractor.  I asked them what defence
contracts they had and they replied that their main one was a contract with
the RCAF to maintain their F104's, which were being used in a low-level
ground attack role!!!!!  Thoughts of Captain Lockheed came immediately to
mind, as I smiled non-commitally and started edging my way towards the door.

Incidentally, I also met (in 1980) a Pilot Officer who'd been based at an
RAF strike base in Germany, and who had in fact been kicked out for
drunkenness.  I mentioned Captain Lockheed & The Starfighters to him but he
already knew all about it.  It was apparently a favourite among RAF aircrew
in Germany at the time - I got the impression that they took it as being a
piss-take of their German opposite numbers and no more than that...

Steve

<snip>