HW: HW Covers All Vol. 5-8, BRAIN:

Henderson Keith keith.henderson at PSI.CH
Sat Sep 14 22:06:27 EDT 2002

Hey Folks...

As promised, here's my contribution to getting *real* list activities back
into gear, rather than just sitting around blabbing on about useless
nothings.  :)

So, thanks in great part to many folks here who have passed along their
discoveries of bands that have covered Hawkwind tunes in recent years, I
went ahead and took all those I had gathered myself and burned up four discs
worth of Hawkwind covers, and then created four sets of image files based on
the original Hawkwind Covers All series, invented four new titles and
thereby have updated the series as much as I have been able to do by myself.

To view the artwork for the four discs, point your browser to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/igrastaklenihperli/files and then you will see
the eight high-res. .jgp files there prime for clicking.  (The archive is
wide open, so don't think you have to join YahooGroups or anything to see
them.)  When we did the cassettes way back when, we printed each insert in
B&W on a different color of paper.  I think we should probably follow suit,
though I'm not sure we can come up with four different shades of paper
(commonly found in office supply stores) without repeating at least one or
two.  But I'm open to suggestions on this front, and if anybody has a great
idea for a color (paper) scheme, I'm all ears.

So, there was a bit of rationale behind my choices of tracks in certain
cases...here was the protocol...
I included...
1.  only tracks that didn't already appear on the cassettes (duh)
2.  only two tracks from the band Time Brothers, who released two CDs
entirely of Hawkwind covers...short of pirating their entire albums, I
simply chose my favorite track from each of their two works in order to
sample their work.
3.  only tracks that didn't "prominently" feature actual Hawkwind
members/veterans, barring the guest sax appearance by Nik on one 5:15 song
and Dave's singing on the Star One thing (I think that's it...I don't know
whether Captain K on the MP3 disc is Keith Kniveton??).  I considered these
two to be 'covers' essentially, whereas Simon House doing old Hawkwind tunes
is not, for instance.  Doug Buckley (of Starfire) wrote the lyrics to "Out
of the Shadows" himself, but he's covering Dave's riff so that's here too.
And PT's "Out" isn't a genuine cover (of Magnu), but rather an 'allegorical'
cover, and we put these on the cassettes too, so...
4.  for the final ("MP3") disc, I chose just a representative sample
(space-limited) of those tracks archived at the mountaingrill.co.uk site,
leaving out those that weren't completed versions, and then added a couple
other live covers that I'd gotten over the years...wasn't meant to be
comprehensive, but thought some of the fine homestudio work should be heard
by those who wouldn't have bothered to go and download them all, or those
who still aren't MP3-equipped just yet.

So, here's the track list of the first three discs...

Hawkwind Covers All, Volume V
"No Use For You To Weep"
1. Kula Shaker* - Hari Om Sundown
2. Time Brothers* - Magnu
3. Time Brothers - Damage of Life
4. ST 37 - Orgone Accumulator
5. Amorphis* - Levitation
6. Architectural Metaphor - Golden Void
7. Liar's Club - Urban Guerilla
8. Starfire* - Out of the Shadows
9. Sabalon Glitz* - The Forge of Vulcan
10. Brain Surgeons* - Needle Gun
11. Brain Surgeons - Hassan I Sahba

Hawkwind Covers All - Volume VI
"Following Us Now With Sound"
1. Porcupine Tree - Out/It Will Rain In A Million Years (alt. version)
2. DC 3* - Psy Power
3. DC 3 - I Believe It/Angels of Death
4. 5:15* - Silver Machine
5. 5:15 - Hassan I Sahba
6. Lord Brain - Sputnik Stan
7. Lord Brain - Assassins of Allah/Palestine
8. Star One* - Hawkwind Medley
9. Negative Reaction* - Lord of Light

Hawkwind Covers All - Volume VII
"The Nagging Choirs of Memory"
1. Archaeopteryx (David Graham)* - Spirit of the Age
2. Archaeopteryx - Assault & Battery/Golden Void
3. Archaeopteryx - Nuclear Drive
4. Archaeopteryx - Xenomorph
5. New Bomb Turks* - Ejection
6. Zone Six - Masters, Lost in the Universe
7. Liquid Visions - Masters of the Universe
8. Litmus - Assault & Battery/Golden Void

Hawkwind Covers All - Volume VIII
"Bring Me The Head Of Napster.com"
--collection of mp3's from various sources, incl. the MountainGrill site.
(see graphic image on web for tracklist)

Now, of course, the whole point is to have these filter through the list in
some sort of organized fashion, and of course that means a tree of some
sort.  But before everyone goes hogwild with requests and offers and
such...let's try to first arrange an organizational structure before trying
to put all the names in the slots.  Folks that were involved in the original
cassette tree (of which I was only a lowly leaf) might have suggestions.  My
thought was to have one single person (or perhaps two?) as the major hub(s)
for disc-burning on each continent, No. America and Europe.  With
Australasia handled as necessary once the numbers in that part of the world
become clear.  Doug Pearson, who actually has the discs at the moment, has
agreed to be that person in the US/Canada.  I would normally agree to be
that person here in Europe, except that I do not have a burner available at
the moment, and probably won't for quite some time.  So I'd be interested in
serious offers to be the one person here in Europe to burn up a good twenty
discs or so of flawless quality at the outset of the tree.

Now, then we'd probably need another group of people on both sides of the
pond to be the first branches, which again would be perhaps 5 sets of the
four discs out to the leaves.  Well, that would only be about 25 sets on
each side of the Atlantic, and I'm thinking more people than that might come
out of the woodwork to request copies, so maybe we'd double the hubs from
the start?  I dunno, again we agree democratically on a solution.  Also, we
should decide how the inserts should be printed/distributed, or whether we
should just let people print their own from the .jpg's I've already
provided?  Of course, then the color scheme we started before might be
scuttled that way...

Um, and yeah, my intent was to manufacture sets to provide to the artists
(excluding Vol. 8 who are largely listmembers anyway I think?) at no cost
(did we do that with the cassettes, or not?), although I'm not sure who
would be responsible for picking up the tab for those supplies and shipping.
Would we want to have each branch person be responsible for one particular
artist copy in addition to their leaves or something?  We also need to
compile a list of contact addresses and such to know where to send these
sets.  I've put asterisks on the tracklisting above for those I'm unsure
about, and so if anyone has up-to-date addresses/email for these particular
artists, maybe you could just privately send them to me.  Al can just send
his info himself if he so chooses.

On that note, um, should we try to contact the artists ahead of time to see
whether they're ok with the whole project?  I don't think this was done with
the cassettes, and nobody's making any money here and the disclaimer (that I
scanned and included) states clearly that this is for *promoting* their work
(and existence) and not taking advantage of them.  So hopefully none of the
artists would be put off by this.  Yeah, and also, of course, I thought a
set should go to Dave's camp in Devon, and then should we not play favorites
and also send a set to Nik's camp in Wales?  Makes sense to me.  I think
maybe a set should go to Dave Anderson too, but instead of actually putting
the proper music on them (as listed on the graphics) we should probably just
burn copies of "In the Beginning" and "Yuri Gagarin" on them instead.  ;)

Do we want to promote this/include others from related lists, like
hawkwind at yahoogroups and the other HW-tree/trading list (that I think still
exists?).  I would be inclined to say "why not?"  I doubt flocks of hundreds
are going to show up?  Who here knows what's going on over at those places
(I had to unsubscribe during my 'busy' time at Ohio St.) and can coordinate
if necessary?

OK, you all know I'm now at keith.henderson at psi.ch (update your address book
if you ever put me in it to begin with) and you know Doug is at
jasret at mindspring.com.  Feel free to either write us privately if you have a
'major' offer of assistance to make, rather than just "I want one" right
now...this will take some time, be patient.  Or else if you have some idea
to present to the list on how to make this work (those of you from the
cassette tree), go ahead and post to the list so that all of us can follow
along in the planning.  Just remember, this post is very long (like most of
my posts!) and PLEASE, <snip> appropriately for those folks on digest mode
who don't want a 2,342-line email!  And to save bandwidth besides.

So, I think I'm done with saying my bit...I'm all ears for ways of handling
this whole thing.

Over and out...Grakkl (FAA)