HW: The Famous Cure

Mon Sep 16 08:13:17 EDT 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Moonglum . wrote:

> In my never ending search for Hawkwind links, I found an interesting Dutch
> page on the Famous Cure, Dave Brock's band pre-Hawkwind (1967).  The page
> has an introduction, 2 contemporary articles that appeared in the Dutch
> press, and some photos:
>
> http://members.lycos.nl/dph2/connection/famouscure.htm
>
> Here's a quote which will give you a feel for how the original Dutch has
> been translated into English: "Leadguitarist Michael Skettery (21) is like
> a devil at his instrument. You may as well say that he can eat and drink
> with it."  Blimey!

        That's very interesting actually, because the translation in
places is word-for-word the text of a typed page photoed in the book
version of the _Dawn of Hawkwind_ CD. None of it is quite as bad as that,
but I'm wondering how the two texts are related, or how long the
translation's been around and where it's from. Not a huge concern but
makes me wonder. Yours,
                        Jon

--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)