HW: Sex Pistols

Sebastian Welton sebastian at WELTON.DE
Wed Sep 18 18:23:12 EDT 2002

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 22:59:00 +0100, gingoblin at EASYNET.CO.UK wrote:

>Don't think anyone's posted on this yet.
>Just got back from seeing the Sex Pistols in London. They opened the gig
>with Silver Machine!  To say I was surprised is a *slight*
>understatement  :)     A question mark appeared above everyones heads as
>they thought en-masse, "Am I really hearing that????!".   Classic.
>Still, Lydon has expressed his like of HW in the past, so maybe Jonesy and
>the rest of the boys are fans too :)
>
>Dave

>From Yahoo (concert was September 14th):

Beer-drenched Sex Pistols rock L.A.
By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - In true punk spirit, rowdy music fans have pelted
the Sex Pistols with beer as the one-time scourge of the British
establishment played its first U.S. concert in six years outside Los
Angeles.

The hailstorm may have been meant as an homage to the band's own anti-
establishment roots, but drenched singer John Lydon was having none of it,
labeling one thrower a "turd" and a "wuss," to the delight of the 50,000-
strong crowd.

The Sex Pistols, who briefly ruled the music world in the late 1970s with
such incendiary anthems as "God Save The Queen" and "Anarchy in the UK,"
reunited on Saturday to headline a punk rock festival at the Glen Helen
Pavilion in Devore, 55 miles (90 km) east of Los Angeles.

In July, the quartet dusted off their instruments for the first time since
November 1996 to play a London show marking their 25th anniversary.
Guitarist Steve Jones told Reuters before Saturday's show there were no
plans for the group to perform again although he was eager for more action.

The band originally broke up during a calamitous American tour in 1978. It
reunited in 1996 -- with original bass player Glen Matlock subbing for his
replacement, the late Sid Vicious -- for a five-month world tour.

Saturday's show saw the Sex Pistols top a bill that included other British
punk veterans such as the Damned and the Buzzcocks as well as young U.S.
upstarts such as Blink 182 and Unwritten Law.

During the band's one-hour set, the irascible Lydon, 46, also managed to
squeeze in pointed comments about the festival's sponsors, Levi Strauss; a
local radio station; MTV; a long-haired fan; the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of
Fame; and even his own drummer, Paul Cook, 46, for getting the beat wrong
during the tasteless Holocaust satire "Belsen Was A Gas".

The band played most of the tracks from its one studio album, the 1977
opus "Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols," and ended with a
cover version of "Silver Machine," a 30-year-old hit from British
psychedelic rock band Hawkwind.

Matlock, 45, said the Sex Pistols would be "daft" not to capitalise on
their momentum and play more shows. Additionally, he said it would take
only a week to make an album. "It's just finding the right week."

Even though the band members are hardly friends, Matlock said the musical
chemistry was unmistakable.

"It's like an old comfortable shoe -- with a nail coming through it," he
said.