HW: Mission Control Website

Rik Rx hw at CY-B.ORG
Wed Sep 25 22:29:49 EDT 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 02:47:34 +0100, Richard Lockwood
<rich at BEERPOWEREDNOISEFRENZY.CO.UK> wrote:

>1.  Yes, the site's Dave's - but as you say Rik, you built it for him.  If
>it doesn't work for people, it's your fault.

I think you are in a minority there - it only seems to fall over for one or
two people with untypical connections on here....

>2.  Guido is probably guessing that you got paid for it.  After all, a site
>as extensive as you tell us it is takes a lot of time, and if you're a
>professional web development company, you can't afford that time just as a
>favour (unless you personally are doing it in your spare time, in which
case you're a better man than I.)

The concept of "spare time" does not exist here.... My "hours" are 24/7
(3am here and I'm still working  :-{ )

>3.  I'm genuinely very sorry to hear about your personal traumas.

Thanx

>4.  I know I started this thing off with a rather heated attack on the
site, but the views of many other people seem to be that they find it at
best unwieldy, and at wost unusable.  Don't dig your heels in and get
defensive  listen to criticism, whether it's ranty or constructive, and at
least consider making changes and improvements.

... and as I KEEP saying all their view have been noted...
However, please re-read Guido's "criticisms" - they all seem to verge on
verbal abuse. - He got what he asked for by way of response, and I make NO
excuses for that !

>5.  Yes, Guido's "Under Construction" animated gifs are annoying, but the
>look and feel of the front page is (IMHO) rather nice.  Let's just hope he
>gets round to finishing the site soon, rather than just leaving them there.

I await the update with baited breath.

>I'm really hoping that Mission Control v.2.0 (or however it's referred to)
>will be a big improvement on MC v1.0 - I'll offer any help I can if you
want
>to ask - because it's a valuable resource (or could be) for all of us out
>here.  (My arguments about Andy's site stay the same but I realise that
that isn't anything to do with you so I'll drop that one).

>To summarise, Mission Control has a lot of info on it, some people like it,
>some don't and some can't see it.  My advice would be simplify it (ie, lose
>some of the "whizzy things"), and get a graphic designer with a bit of
>knowledge about how people use websites in.  And don't get so defensive!

Again, how do YOU know the "whizzy things" were not specified in the client
brief? - You seem to be making some sweeping assumptions here.

>Hope v2 is well on the way,

To clarify: I have a degree in design, a cert in Telematics & e-commerce. I
run a successful web-hosting & design company with a healthy annual
turnover. I also teach web design one night a week at a local college, and
have done for the last three years. I also run a consultancy for companies
investing in state-of-the-art ICT product. My wife is also a highly
qualified Graphic Designer, and before she was ill managed a design studio
for a large local authority. You seem to assume that we have restricted
knowlege of the methodology of web design and trends/habits in navigation. I
am more than aware of the issues surrounding ergonomics of web navigation,
and just because MC doesn't follow the traditional conventions doesn't mean
I have to call in outside help as you suggest. Defensive? Perhaps, but
people tend to get that way when misguided claims are made against them.

V2 should be soon, "spare time" permitting.

Look forward to seeing some of your work.

Thanx

Rx