BOC: Long Day's Night

Martin Roy Varley mrvarley at UCLAN.AC.UK
Thu Sep 26 06:40:57 EDT 2002

Nice review!

I read this & went straight out to buy the CD but can't find it here yet.

Does anyone know about a date for UK release?

The DVD is out here on October 7 (according to amazon.co.uk) but I don't know about the CD.

Martin

>>> blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM 09/25/02 03:41pm >>>
After that blistering version of Stairway to the Stars I ran to my room, put
on my "On Tour Forever" shirt and started thrashing around like there was no
tomorrow. What a trip!

Positives:
Buck Dharma
Buck Dharma
Buck Dharma
I can hear Allen Lanier's keys! And they sound great.
Eric on Stairway, OD'd and Lips
The recording sounds polished, but not too slick
Perfect Water
Lips in the Hills
Reaper never sounded so good live
Crowd singing along
Danny Miranda & Bobby Rondinelli driving the sound
78 minutes!

Negatives:
No Flaming Telepaths
The Big 3. Again.
Eric on Astronomy, Cities on Flame and between song banter
The BOC symbol used to be a cool accent. With the stage set, Eric's guitars
and the rest of the album art, it gets a little chronos-crazy
Bobby's fills were overblown at times
Some aspects of the show (like the long pause in Cities) don't play as well
without the visual

Seeing the track listing was like opening my Christmas present early. I'm so
glad they included Stairway and Quicklime Girl! Flaming Telepaths is
probably better when you can see the strobes anyway. ;-)

After listening to it a few times, I'd put it as my 2nd favorite BOC live CD
after OYF, though they couldn't come close to topping the version of
Astronomy on SEE. Minor quibbles aside, this is definitely the live album
I've been waiting for from BOC!

Brian