BOC: Long Day's Night

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Fri Sep 27 13:43:39 EDT 2002

Theo wrote:

>>> I can hear Allen Lanier's keys! And they sound great.
>>
>> Can't hear 'em enough.
>>
> True, but much better than at a concert, where you can't hear them
> at all!

Exactly! I thought he should have been more prominent throughout Curse too.

John wrote:

> Some would probably argue that the CD faithfully reproduces
>> BOC's live sound - and if so, I might agree with you.  My point is
>> that BOC is not mixed live IMHO as well as it should be.

I see your point. I've always thought one of the main differences between
BOC now and in the '70s is that straight-ahead, more up-front pounding on
the bass and drums. I think the live CD plays that up, but yeah, maybe too
much.

>>> Reaper never sounded so good live
>>
>> Has it ever sounded BAD live?

Not really. I was just comparing it to SEE and ETI. I should have clarified
that. It's also probably the best version I've heard at a BOC show, but then
again I've only been to around 10 gigs. Your mileage may vary....

>> Bobby's
>> drumming is about as subtle as the proverbial fart in church.  Don't
>> get me wrong, Bobby's great, and I don't have an issue with some of
>> his fills. I think you might not think as badly of the fills if the
>> drums weren't overmixed as I previously mentioned.
>
> True, BR IS a great drummer.  I find him a bit slick sometimes, and
> some of his fills are, IMHO, a bit inappropriate for the songs...

Yep. I think that's it exactly. To me, his drums seemed up-front in the mix
on Curse too, so it didn't really surprise me on Long Day's Night.

Theo again:

> For sheer power and drive, OYF is amazing.  For musical quality, I
> think I prefer this one.  And, don't forget SEE for some inspired
> moments, viz. DFtR and Astronomy--though the version of
> Astronomy here won't disappoint...

We're lucky to have live albums for such critical, and varied, points in
their career. We have video for all of them too (Live '76, Black & Blue,
Long Day's Night).

John on Eric:

>> - but again, it's the MIX.  The vocals
>> are not "up front" enough.  I also think that they need to give a bit
>> more boost to the low frequencies for Eric's mike and give him more of
>> that menacing character he had.

I agree. Eric reminds me of Ian Anderson in that way. Not that Ian's
supposed to be menacing, but that he's too high-pitched live.

Theo:

> I guess Godzilla's a necessary evil, more endured than anticipated.
> While they're at it, include more of the taped intro at the beginning
> of the show.  What is it, Vangelis?

Yeah, from the Blade Runner soundtrack I think. If they had included a chunk
of it on the recording, they'd probably have to pay Vangelis, or the movie
studio, or whoever put out the soundtrack. Or all three....

> All in all, a pretty satisfying CD.  And the old geezers def. show the
> baggy shorts, de-tuned youngsters what showmanship is supposed
> to be like, eh?

Like Korn will be doing to the khaki slacked, standard-tuned youngsters in
20 years? ;-)

Brian