HW: 4 new re-issues

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Fri Sep 27 18:58:51 EDT 2002

Follow-up #2:

Zones
-----
Additional info on the back cover art:
<...
Tracks 1.2.3 at Battle Studios, Hastins/December 1980
Tracks 4.5 at Lewisham Odeon, London/18th December 1980
Tracks 6.7.8.9.10 at Bristol, Colston Hall/30th October 1982
...>

1-3 are Zones, Dangerous Vision, Running Through the Back Brain.
4-5 are The Island, Motorway City.
6-10 are Utopia 84, Social Alliance, Sonic Attack, Dream Worker, Brainstorm.

This is Hawkwind, Do Not Panic
------------------------------
Additional info on sticker attached to back cover:
<...
Recorded tracks 1-7 at Lewisham Odeon, London - 18th December 1980
Tracks 8&9 at Stonehenge Free Festival - 20th & 21st June 1984
...>

1-7 are Psy Power, Levitation, Circles, Space Chase, Death Trap, Angels of
Death, Shot Down in the Night.
8 is Stonehenge Decoded.
9 is Watching the Grass Grow.
9 would be from the main set on the 20th, 8 from the Stonehenge at
Dawn/Earth Ritual Improv set on the 21st.

Who's Gonna Win the War?
------------------------
>Who's Gonna Win The War?
> L  1     Weird 101 - Sonic Assasins/ Dave Brock
> L  1 a   Friends And Relations I
> L  1 a   Victoria double album
> L  1 a   Best of Hawkwind Friends & Relations CD [Flicknife]
> L  1 b   Night Of The Hawk
> L  1 b   Independent Days, Vol. I
> L  1 b   Independent Days Volumes 1&2 CD
> L  1 c   Who's Gonna Win the War?/ Time of 7"
>
>      *   1a, 1b, and 1c are edits & remixes of 1
>
>Could you check the time for this track and let us know? Or better still
>do a comparison with one of these?

Both the original LP version and the new CD reissue of Friends and Relations
have this track about 5:54 in length, they both sound the same to me, and
they both start at the same point and fade out at the same point. The Weird
101 CD version is only 4:54 in length, it fades in at about 0:28 into the
F&R version, and then it fades out at I think about 5:25 into the F&R
version - so basically I think it chops off about 30 seconds from the start
and 30 seconds from the end of the original F&R track. I'll have to listen
to it again more closely to make sure the shortening isn't due to some other
edit in the body of the song. Either way, that would mean that versions 1
and 1a in the codex should probably be switched (unless the Weird CD version
is not the same as the Weird Tape version). I think Doug may have said the
same thing earlier when the Weird CDs were just coming out.

Robot
-----
The original F&R LP version of Robot clocks in at about 8:25, with the last
10 or so seconds being crowd noise that slowly fades out. The hack-job edit
that appeared on the various F&R compilations fades out at about 5:59. I
also compared the F&R LP Robot to the Weird 103 CD version - the Weird
version is only 7:21, and there are more differences between the 2 than I
had remembered. I still think they may be the same base track, because I
suspect it would be really difficult for Simon House to get what sound like
the exact same most excellent yowling noises from his violin 2 nights
running - but the Weird version doesn't have Bob's intro, some riffing has
been cut near the beginning, and there seem to be some added vocals on the
chorus and one or two other places. This is going to take some more careful
listening.

Glad this has been useful,
Stephan