Re-Issues

Ian Abrahams mail at ABRAHAMSI.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Fri Apr 4 00:58:33 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Captain Bl at ck" <starfield at SUPANET.COM>

Here's an interesting question: if Quark were to be released tomorrow on CD,
on say, the Hawks own label, would this affect the price folks were prepared
to pay for the Virgin copy?

Yes, inevitably. I don't see there being an intrinsic collector's premium
market for CDs in the way that, say, there is an appreciating value in 60s
Marvel Comics for instance. Any value over issue price for the Charisma CDs
is purely based on a desire to own and listen to the music rather than a
need to own that specific release. So a re-issue will satisfy demand and
bring down the second hand market, though I agree with Mike's assertions
over the years that the retail price of a new CD has a "sell-on" factor
built into it.

A better comic book analogy might be something like Sandman. First issue is
static at around £8 IIRC - what would it be worth if demand wasn't being
satisfied by trade paperback reissues?

But I think overall the price is demand driven and not based on intrinsic
value.

Ian