Official Post From Hawkwind.

Sun Apr 6 13:35:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Ted Jackson wrote:

> On 11 Dec 2002 at 13:36, Paul Mather wrote:

        <massive snip>

> > The shame is that Hawkwind really is a band that needs to be
> > experienced live.  I keep hearing that Dave isn't much a fan of
> > live touring any more, though, which doesn't bode well. :-(
> >
> Then Dave, sadly, deserves what he gets.  Obviously he's clueless about the way
> things work, or unwilling to accept the truth...

        I don't think it's either of these. Various interviews with Dave,
in particular the photo-interview on the Philm Freaks pages or whatever it
is--<googles>--yup, linked off
<http://www.ibiblio.org/mal/MO/philm/brocki/>, requires images
and Javascript but actually worth it, but the few Dave quotes it has there
seem to me to make it clear that what Dave would *like* to do is retire to
the farm and live off his royalties. I don't know whether he can actually
afford to do that or not, but he keeps the mothership going anyway, or so
it seems. But he doesn't have to be happy about it, is the distinct sense
I get.

        Now, me, I have no problem with that except that we keep being
told to expect great things of a band whose leader seems to have had
enough, and I as has often been made clear find this a bit of an insult to
the fans' credibility. But hey, they're coming to my home town for the
first time since it's been my home town, I'll go and see and remember what
it's about I expect. Still won't be expecting the new album to be on sale
there however. Yours,
                      Jon

ObCD: Brainticket - _Cottonwood Hill_
--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)