HW: EMI Reissues

Captain Bl@ck starfield at SUPANET.COM
Tue Apr 8 14:56:53 EDT 2003

To my ears, Warrior and Quark were both processed through what sounds like
some form of 'energiser' such as an Aphex Aural Exciter; this basically adds
top end 'fizz' in the form of low order distortion.

Astounding was not, I believe done this way, plus it sounds like the
keyboards were recorded direct to the desk rather than the usual practice of
miking up the keybard amps. Also the bass playing has a lot to do with it;
Rudolph sticking with almost root note playing and very tight timing
compared to the more extreme fret board excursions of Lemmy and Shaw.

But back to the vinyl versus CD debate for a moment; the reason a lot of
early CD reissues sounded so awful was

a: because they were taken from the tapes used to master the vinyl; that is
to say, the bass was rolled off (to fit it onto the LP groove).

b: They used poor quality A-D converters.

And Doug touched upon something else in his reply; why so many modern CD's
are recorded with a minimal dynamic range compared to the theoretical
possibilities of the medium.

Shall you tell 'em or shall I?