HW: EMI Reissues & what about 5.1 surround

Jeff Thompson _jt at COX.NET
Tue Apr 8 18:34:03 EDT 2003

Chris Gibbs wrote:
> Hi ya,
>
> Yup Dark Side of Moon 30th aniversary hybrid sacd sounds GREAT!!!
> Even sounds great on conventional cd player (better than I remember an
> earlier cd sounding)
>
> A copy I made is perfect on everything but is the copy still 5.1?

A hybrid SACD like DSOTM has two layers - a conventional "cd red book"
layer read by cd drives and cd players, and another SACD layer (similar to
DVD but not DVD compatible) containing up to 4 gigabytes of data that
has all the 5.1 audio data.  A SACD player will read from that layer,
ignoring the CD layer, while everything else will read from the CD layer
ignoring the SACD layer.

A computer cd drive won't be able to read the SACD layer, so when you
ripped it, you were were ripping the regular stereo CD audio, no 5.1
info.

--
Jeff / _jt at cox.net   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"