How I Found Out About Hawkwind.

B. Vaughan haarp at REDJELLYFISH.NET
Thu Apr 10 06:56:06 EDT 2003

I don't think I ever did a post on this anywhere yet..... I was turned on to Hawkwind by a D.J. (didn't know him personally, just listened to his show) who worked at a Sacramento, Calif. radio station called KZAP 98.5fm in the '70[s], his air name was "Gordo". This was in spring 1978, & the tunes I heard first were "Hassan I Sabah" & "Spirit Of The Age", then "Damnation Alley" got some airplay. After hearing the tunes & what Gordo had to say about Hawkwind, I went down the street to Tower Records & bought "Quark, Strangeness & Charm" just as soon as I could. About a month later, I was at a party & heard this incredibly heavy psychedelic album on the turntable there, it was none other than "Doremifasolatido"! "Brainstorm" was the first song I heard from that one. Too bad there aren't more D.J.[s] like Gordo around these days! What was great about that particular time was that KZAP  was a commercial station, but had lots of more trippy, experimental music at night (they retained a bit of their "free-form" touch from the early '70[s]).

Cheers,
           Brian

           http://haarp.freeyellow.com/