OFF: consumer economics (was: Hawkwind MP3's)

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Apr 10 11:50:55 EDT 2003

Paul Mather writes:

> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 07:18:55PM +0100, M Holmes wrote:
>
> => To the contrary, they're someone who can. If someone goes from expensive
> => to free dental care then the amount of time they should spend cleaning
> => their teeth to maximise economic efficiency will go down.
>
> No it shouldn't.  If, by your theory, economics is about choices, and
> his or her choice is to have "healthy teeth," then the amount of
> cleaning should remain the same, independent of the cost of dental
> care.

If that's their only choice, yes. Most people count saving money as a
choice too though some may have so much that this isn't a factor.

> Perhaps, though, that you're suggesting that the monetary cost of
> dental surgery is the greatest factor in whether someone takes care of
> their teeth?

Nope, just another factor. Pain is a cost. Money that has to go to the
dentist instead of beer is a further cost. Most people try to maximise
jollies and minimise costs.

> I'm not sure I would characterise it as people thinking the government
> should act as parents, more a case of "it wasn't my fault, it was
> theirs (even though I acted stupidly; THEY should have anticipated
> that and protected me)

Sounds like infantilitism to me.

FoFP