BRAIN: Beach Party UK

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Tue Apr 15 15:14:17 EDT 2003

That stinks about the UK shows. Seeing the live versions of the new-fangled
Medusa and Siege alone would be worth the price of the ticket. Luckily,
they're on Beach Party so if you can't see the Surgeons live at least you
can still hear these great takes--as well as the mandolin-fired Red & the
Black, Niagara Falls and Date With a Guitar.

The new songs on the CD are my favorites though:

Naked if I Want To kicks off the album a cappella, just like Biloxi did for
Piece of Work (except I like this song better).

State of Emergency would have fit right in on Box of Hammers, with its
distorted guitars, catchy chorus and undulating bass line. It's also one of
only two new songs written by Al and Deb. The other is Stealin' Thing, which
includes Helen Wheels.

Krakatoa is sludgier, but still singable. Although it's always a little
strange to hear yourself singing Meltzer's lyrics. In a good way, of course!

Stealin' Thing has some cool percussion frothing underneath the strong
vocals and lead guitar.

Whatever Works is the Surgeons getting full-on funky, with Joe on vocals and
horns. You can tell everyone had fun recording it. I hope it's on the set
list for the Upstate NY gigs! (I know, we're spoiled.)

Gas Hog is straight-up surf rock, complete with cowabunga! drumming and
muscle-car sound effects. By the way, if you like that kind of thing, and
'50s rock in general, check out The Hi-Risers http://www.hirisers.com/

Pissin' Away the Summer closes out the album with a laid-back vibe. "Pissin'
away the summer, tryin' to forget you." This and Gas Hog tuck the album back
into the Beach Party theme.

This Surgeon album's an interesting mix of old (but different) and new. It's
a lot like a Hawkwind album that way.... Anyway, Beach Party's a great
listen and it's gonna stay in my player at least as long as the sun's out.
Or the surf's up.

Brian