HW/OFF: a supertangential King Crimson Kconnection

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at ACMENET.NET
Wed Apr 16 19:26:11 EDT 2003

I hate to interrupt the fun, but
the following anecdote is provided by Fripp in his diary at
www.disciplineglobalmobile.com. I figure that if Snorkwind could be the
name of something, why not "a new Crimson technical term?"

A new Crimson technical term, one that was featured prominently in
tonight's set, is asswind. The term originates with Trey, who used it as a
synonym for vectorisation. This is itself another Crim technical term, one
that originates in the ProjeKct Two sessions at Studio Belewbeloid in
November 1997. Vectorising is something like a sonic amuse bouche , or
swirling sonicscape, that functions as a bridge between pieces where
silence, or quiet, is not appropriate. A vector shift may function as an
ear-clearer, a lug-sorbet as it were, to cleanse the aural palate before
the next piece of stonking Crimson terror is delivered to drive wives from
halls.

Recently, Trey has taken to suggesting a vectorisation with the word
asswind . The usage of this term has spread, carelessly, and now extends
even to Soundscapes. An introductory Soundscape, prior to the band coming
onstage, has even been declared a savage blast of asswind. This is, of
course, close to sacrilege.

Ade broke a string, which he attributes to not having time to return to the
hotel for a shower: this interrupted his personal ritual of
performance-preparation. While Ade was changing guitar, and re-tuning, a
vectorisation was needed. So Ade called to me - asswind. In and of itself,
this was fine: I understood what Ade wanted. But it didn't quite occur
that, with in-ear monitoring damping his sense of vocal amplitude, Ade's
voice was somewhat louder than it might otherwise have been. In addition to
being clearly audible at the edge of the stage, which had Ken & John
rolling in laughter, Ade was standing not far from the microphone.

I'm not sure what the polite & respectful Japanese audience made of the
singer calling out asswind to the guitarist stage left .