++++ HW: Covers All Final Call/ Studio album

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Apr 17 11:14:10 EDT 2003

Andrew Garibaldi writes:

> One thing occurs to me - this argument would not be happening prior to
> the arrival of the internet.  Patience,then, was, indeed a virtue.  I
> think we have all been led to expect practically daily bulletins from
> every musician saying what they'd just had for breakfast and what they
> intend to do today, etc etc.  It's not the public's fault - it's the
> perception that people are led to expect ever more and more regular
> information, however inconsequential.

There's a researched effect of email discussion groups/boards which
could be called a "democratising" effect. While that sounds good, it can
cause trouble in some circumstances. In most businesses the people with
higher status get to say more in meetings, but not on email boards.
Since businesses function through heirarchy once they get beyond a
handful of people, bosses don't now discuss on email boards but merely
pass information into them. In effect, the democratising effect removes
a certain element of respect. This is in addition to the lack of
visual and verbal cues in the written form and it all adds up to
criticism being expressed sometimes too dandidly and feelings being hurt
more easily.

> To me what Dave and Nik and
> anyone do in terms of lawsuits etc, is their business

Absolutely, though I contend that Nik's side tried to involve us in the
whole thing by statements such as those given at Glastonbury and benefit
gigs for "The spirit of Hawkwind".  I will say that I have complete
respect for the (real) band's side of the dispute (whatever form it
really took) to refuse to be baited into making the same sort of tacky
moves to involve the fans in the unpleasantness.

And in the end it's not just the Courts who decide such fights, it's us
who decide them by deciding where to spend our cash. That's free market
capitalism for ya.

Jon's entitled to his point of view here. If he wants to be harsh or
impatient then that's just part of it. I feel sad if the feelings of the
band have been hurt but perhaps that's an inevitable risk of them
getting the kind of feedback they'll get in a free forum such as this. I
would question however whether Colin Allen hasn't had his hazing as the
bearer of bad news on the taping policy. I'd assume Colin didn't make
the policy and if he expressed it badly in the first instance then I
think he's had enough "feedback" on that. Seems to me that it's time to
let that one go.

Looking forward to the Hawkfest and the new album I remain...

FoFP