HW:Michael Butterworth

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Thu Apr 17 11:26:30 EDT 2003

Hi

If this is Storm, which was drawn by Don Lawrence then, as far as I recall,
it is the same Michael Butterworth. I am assuming that as he also wrote some
of the comic strip from Ranger / Look & Learn, The Trigan Empire, which was
also drawn by Don Lawrence, as well as one or two novels based on the TV
show Space 1999.

I also am aware of another Michael Butterworth who also used to work for the
same comic company in the UK, & also wrote some strips. Also, the Michael
Butterworth we do know's wife also wrote comic strips for the same company.
Myself & another friend were looking into the history of The Trigan Empire
comic strip a while back, & came across the 2 similar names. As Michael
Moorcock also wrote some comic strips for the same company too, & was
working with Michael Butterworth, we guessed that it was possible the 2
Michael Butterworths were father & son (as we found different birthdates as
well).

William

PS There's a web site about Storm, & Don Lawrence's other work, here:-
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://stefan-schaetz.de/storm/storm.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddon%2Blawrence%2Bstorm%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8

> Well I'm pretty sure it's not based on an idea by Michael Butterworth then
> written by some no-name hack with Butterworth's name slapped on it to
drive
> up sales  :)

PPS I don't think it is very likely someone slapped his name on this to drum
up sales, as most of the comics of this ilk very rarely publisized who
worked on them that much. Also, when the comic came out (assuming it is the
same one, Michael Butterworth wasn't that well known I don't think.