HW: WOTEOT

Robert C. Mayo RMayo19761 at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 21 15:58:58 EDT 2003

In a message dated 4/21/2003 2:41:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mikemont at NYCAP.RR.COM writes:

> But I'd love to know why EMI didn't keep on with _Warrior_, ASAM,
> and so on until their vaults were empty; as it is I can only presume what
> they thought would be a cash cow didn't milk that profitably. Yours,
>                                    Jon

you're right, Purple Records does all the work, assembling a package that EMI
mearly needs to manufacture and distribute, and keeps the cocts down so that
EMI can release the stuff cheaply. But the way Purple keeps the costs so low
is key as well: they do much of the work that they do for free. I correcspond
with Simon and Paul often and they are always telling me what they were
'forced' to do at their own by EMI's either lack of follow-up, disregard for
deadlines, non-responsiveness; and all of these deficiencies are almost
always made-up for by Purple Records' willingness to throw in personal time
for the love of it.
EMI is contnuing the lavishly-packaged 25th anniversary remaster series with
'BURN' later this year; even after the dissapointing sales of the 'Who do we
think we are?' remaster (which sold poorly partly because it wasn't a great
record to begin with, but also because EMI did't get it out until it was
almost the 27th anniversary!!), because the return on investment ratio is
high enough. how? because Simon et al keep EMI's investment costs down by
doing a good bit of the work for free.
bobm