OFF: The Magic Band

Mon Apr 21 17:38:31 EDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM wrote:

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,931097,00.html

         I foolishly didn't check mail this day, not that I could have
gone at that notice, and didn't find out about this until the 10th, when,
unsuccessfully trying to buy tickets for Clutch and The Spiritual Beggars
that night in Stargreen (I got one at the door, in case you were
worried) I saw a poster for it and brielfy had my personal sky turn
black. But, on reading the article I don't worry *quite* so much. No
Winged Eel Fingerling, no Zoot Horn Rollo, and Drumbo mostly not
drumming... I mean, Robert Williams isn't *bad* or anything but there is
no other John French, and several other possible Beefheart
imitators. Couldn't they have got Tom Waits to try it, and let Drumbo do
what made the Magic Band per se really special? Oh well. If they release
that live recording I'm having it. Yours,
                                          Jon

Ob45: The Maximum Effect - Espana/The Wrecker
--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)