OFF: Re: other bands

Tue Apr 22 08:57:37 EDT 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Chris Allen wrote:

> From: Jon Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK>
> >
> >         Clutch. One of the finest bands currently going...
>
> I'll have to second this.  I'm a very recent convert because they're one of
> the few heavy rock bands going at the moment who actually groove.  I find
> this to be of immense importance.

        Yup, what he said.

> Apparently John Garcia is working as a Dental Assistant at the minute.
> Funny old world.

        He was gigging with Hermano not so long ago, it's not completely
defunct. There's an interview somewhere on stonerrock.com where he talks
about the situation as it looked this time last year, when the first
Hermano album had just come out. Basically, as I remember it, Man's Ruin
had just gone down the tubes and the other label on which Unida had stuff
had done so also, so their entire back catalogue was witing for some other
label to buy it up from the creditors and no-one could be persuaded
too. So Unida was still sort of alive, as in they were hoping to be
touring again in a low-key fashion that year and maybe recording stuff,
but they couldn't get anyone to fund anything and it was generally
disheartening. Meanwhile the guy behind Hermano was willing to pay for
John to come to Europe and sing their stuff in a studio for a week so that
was happening more obviously even though it was only ever supposed to be a
one-off, because since there was some money behind it of some sort it kept
moving. While he was over here he also wound up singing on Orange
Goblin's most recent album, _Coup de Grace_, which only goes to show that
it's too long since they had an album out too. Unida meanwhile still seem
to be waiting for someone with more money than them to buy their back
catalogue.

> What about The Masters of Reality, Kyuss/QotSA producer Chris Goss'
> band?  I bought their 1st LP when it was released and have loved it ever
> since - 1999's Welcome to the Western Lodge was also fanastic.  The other two
> studio albums disappointed me a little - maybe the live CDs will be better.

        I know *of* them, because apart from anything else they're the
Kyuss/QotSA (and therefore Nirvana!) link to Hawkwind, but I've never
knowingly heard any. They're on the list though. Yours,
                                                        Jon

ObCD: The Mothers of Invention - _Ahead of Their Time_
--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)